Author Topic: Netherlands 2011: Two More Collector Coin Issues  (Read 10588 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Netherlands 2011: Two More Collector Coin Issues
« on: May 03, 2011, 06:00:33 PM »
In addition to the "Schilderkunst" coin http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,8580.0.html , the Dutch Mint will issue collector coins on two more occasions this year:

* mid-2011: 100 Jaar Muntgebouw / 100 Years Mint Building (Rijksmunt, now Koninklijke Nederlandse Munt) in Utrecht

* fall (Sep?) 2011: Wereld Natuur Fonds - 50 Years World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF)

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Netherlands 2011: Two More Collector Coin Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 01:39:10 PM »
And here we have the design of the "Muntgebouw" issue. Looks confusing first (well, to me), but then a design is always a little different from the actually minted pieces. The designer, Juan José Sánchez Castaño, wanted to emphasize the combination of "old" and "new", and of the early 20c architecture and innovative technology.

In the center you see, surrounded by architectural elements, a coin press and - for the first time on a coin - a QR code. So if your phone has a QR reader, you may be able to read this; don't know how well that would work with a coin. On the other side, Queen Beatrix; looks as if you see her through a camera shutter ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »
The QR code apparently means "q5g.nl" which takes you to the herdenkingsmunt.nl website. :)  Below the portrait of the Queen there is a six-fold latent image made using MultiView Minting technology. You should be able to recognize 6 different characters depending on your viewing angle. I think I have seen "KNM", not sure about the other three.

Attached are two images, both from the videos that Peter mentioned in this topic. One shows the latent image, the other one is the die.

Christian

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 02:37:49 PM »
So if your phone has a QR reader,

I'm probably teaching grandma to suck eggs, but the way it works is by taking a picture of the QR code (with your normal camera phone) then running that through the QR reader (usually an App), the pixels at the top left of the QR code denote from where the reader starts reading from, once read it will then usually take you to a website.

I've yet to be convinced if these actually have a practical function or if they are just another gadget to play with.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 04:59:59 PM »
I have used a QR on an air ticket. I just held up the iPhone for scanning at check points. It went flawlessly and was very quick. I was quite impressed. However, I confess to having printed the boarding card, just in case ...  :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:09:20 AM »
On my phone I tried a reader for EAN and QR code out a while ago. Did not work well, probably because of the camera or my lack of patience or both. :) What I do use is tickets like this for public transport (just an example, that is not my phone). In those cases I have the code matrix on my phone, and somebody else can read it, pretty much like your boarding pass. Works fine and is great for occasional subway/bus users like me.

Whether it makes sense to use QR code on a coin ... I doubt it. If the technology was part of the modern designing or minting process, I would find it plausible. But who knows, maybe some people will buy the coin because they find it cool. :)

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 01:12:35 PM »
Will be interesting to see whether this coin is actually issued at face. A major Dutch dealer already has a "€5 for €5" pre-order offer: http://www.muntenhuis.nl/5-euro-herdenkingsmunt-muntgebouw-3  Then again, the mint only lists three surcharged versions: Apart from the silver and gold versions (which cannot be had at face anyway) there is a €5 base metal version that comes with a booklet. That pack costs €10: http://www.knm.nl/100-jaar-Muntgebouw-Vijfje-2011-in-luxe-verzamelverpakking-met-uitgebreid-boekje/nl/product/1467/

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 01:47:23 PM »
The base metal version is normally also issued at face through the post office, but I have no issue date yet. Still, this would be much easier than then the 2 euro pieces. WoC members who want the coin should let me know by PM (please specify which version/price you want.) Members of the ring of euro collectors get served first.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 09:48:57 AM »
Well, the "Muntgebouw" issue will not become available at face after all. They'll be €10 each. I you want a copy, let me know before the end of the weekend.

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 02:44:07 PM »
PM sent (in time ;) ). Well, since even the base metal version costs twice the face value, I won't get one this time. Sure, if future issues are "surcharged only" too, I may get second thoughts. Oh well, in that case I can buy one later ...

Interesting, by the way, that the coin has recently been covered by quite a few "tech" magazines/websites too. Here are three links to German language articles:
http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/0,1518,769337,00.html (scroll down to "Niederlande prägt Münzen mit QR-Codes")
http://futurezone.at/digitallife/3658-niederlande-praegen-qr-codes-auf-muenzen.php
http://www.golem.de/1106/84308.html

So people who may in general not be interested in collector coins (or not in Dutch pieces, etc.) may well try and get this one ...

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Netherlands 2011: Two More Collector Coin Issues
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 09:03:29 AM »
Dutch Coin Featuring QR Code In Circulation Tomorrow
June 21st, 2011 by Arpita Aneja 

Although some consider plastic the currency of the future, the Netherlands will be introducing a thoroughly modern coin tomorrow that you can actually scan with your smartphone to get additional information. This new coin, which was made to celebrate the Royal Dutch Mint’s 100th anniversary, has a QR code (short for Quick Response Code) on the “tail” side.

QR codes are more compact than barcodes, yet they can hold more information. The matrix–which can include text, a URL, or other data–consists of black dots and lines arranged in a white square. These scannable codes were originally used to track auto parts but now they are used in advertising, promotions, and even modern art. To access the  hidden information requires your smartphone’s camera and a downloadable app (such as QR Droid on Android and QR Reader for iPhone). The codes usually lead you to a website with more information on whatever you’re scanning. When the coin comes out tomorrow, the code will lead you to the mint’s website, which will include an undisclosed “surprise.”

There’s no information available on what this surprise might be, but the more important question is: will this new scan-able coin become a new trend among currency? Only time will tell if by  next year we can scan pennies for a little surprise from Honest Abe.

Source
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 02:44:39 PM »
Below the portrait of the Queen there is a six-fold latent image made using MultiView Minting technology. You should be able to recognize 6 different characters depending on your viewing angle. I think I have seen "KNM", not sure about the other three.

Juanjo Sanchez was nice enough to explain what the six are. :)  Yes, "K", "N" and "M" (short for Koninklijke Nederlandse Munt) but also "R" and "D" for "Royal Dutch" (in this case the "M" would mean "Mint") and "U" for Utrecht. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_zhX3b9qMI

Here is more about Juanjo, his personal and professional background - he has worked for the Spanish and Singapore mints before - and about the design. The video is in English, with Dutch subtitles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCpwehEL6BE

Or read about the design, in English: http://www.q5g.nl/knm/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/The_design_of_the_100_jaar_%20muntgebouw_coin.pdf

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »
Sympathetic video of the man, though I am now wondering if he has the balance between technical prowess and emotional value right. He calls himself an artist, but his favourite element is the hologram, which is all technique. Well, he has time to learn. Fun also, how he has had a haircut and donned a business suit for the queen's visit. Nice personal touch. He comes across as a nice guy.

I am on the whole pleasantly surprised at the PR-effort of the mint for this coin. You seldom see anything this good come out of this country.

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 07:32:33 PM »
Juanjo is primarily an engraver, I think. As far as I can tell, Dutch coins are usually designed by "third party" artists, ie. people who are not KNM employees. The coin about the mint building was an opportunity to have these two engravers (Juanjo and Pannos) make two designs. And in the PDF file, Juanjo actually "says" about the latent image: "I am especially proud of it, because it has taken me many years of developing and thinking to solve many technical problems, which were not solved with other systems." He does mention various design elements in the video and the PDF file, and I guess he is satisfied with the design. But maybe this six-fold image has been bugging the engraver in him. :)

As for the "PR effort", yes, I agree - and as far as I can tell (not being in NL), it was successful in that many people became aware and interested. Maybe something like that is necessary if you want people to buy the coin; after all it cannot be had at face. But I certainly appreciate the fact that this coin about the mint is accompanied by lots of interesting info about the "birth" of the piece. By the way, I downloaded the background image http://www.q5g.nl/wp-content/themes/knm/images/background1920_.jpg, viewed it at 100%, used my QR reader (which I hardly ever use) with one of the actual coins (not just designs) depicted there, and was indeed taken to the "q5g.nl" website ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 01:05:10 AM »
By the way, in another forum somebody mentioned that there are ways to get the Muntgebouw coin for less than 10 euro. I checked it out, and if you look here http://www.q5g.nl/verkooppunten there is one dealer who charges €7.95 ... and one who wants €5.00 only. So extremely strictly speaking ;) we could even say that the piece can be had at face.

Christian