Author Topic: Malta - One Token Country  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
Malta - One Token Country
« on: September 03, 2014, 10:03:56 PM »
Here is an image of the penny, maroon celluloid token from Valletta. Diameter 22 millimeters. Tramways operated on Malta from 1905 to 1929. To date this is the only known transport fare token from Malta.

Photo courtesy of Bob Lyall, author of The Tokens and Checks of Malta, Warrington, 1999.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Malta - One Token Country
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 10:21:57 PM »
The British influence is very clear and that even includes the colour of the penny. I am intrigued by the reference to lifts. Are there still public lifts on Malta? Do you still pay to use them?

There are other Malta tokens - enough for a book on them, but they are not transport tokens.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:33:44 AM »
Macartney, McElroy & Co. Ltd. Started operating electric trams in Malta 1905. The trams' quarter century of operation was marked by vicissitudes as varied as the steep hills and the sharp curves on their route. Macartney, McElroy also operated the Baracca Lift, initially a minor adjunct to their Malta operation but subsequently invaluable in helping to pay off the tramway debts.
  Source

Messrs. Joseph Richmond and Co. Limited of 30 Kirby Street, Hatton Garden, London, constructed and erected the Upper Barrakka Gardens lift for Macartney, McElroy & Co. Ltd.  The lift was opened in September 1905.  Macartney, McElroy & Co. Ltd. was an engineering company specializing in electric tramway systems.

In fact Macartney, McElroy & Co. Ltd. had laid down tramlines in Malta in 1904. The tramlines linked the Three Cities and Rabat to Valletta, via Floriana, Hamrun, Birkirkara, Attard and Zebbug.

Source See this for much more information and pictures.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 12:43:55 AM »
Another page of the above site shows the Maltese Public Transport since 1856.

Here is the section concerning THE TRAM

This service was inaugurated on February 23, 1905 by the Malta Tramways Limited. Trams linked Valletta with the Three Cities, Birkirkara and Zebbug.

The Tram had two floors, the lower and the Upper Deck. On the first floor, where the operator [driver] used to be, it had ten reversible wooden seats, where 20 passengers could be seated. The rest, mostly farmers carrying their fresh fruit and vegetables, including live chickens and rabbits to be sold at Valletta market, would stand up.  The upper floor (Upper Deck) could accommodate up to 18 sitting passengers. Standing passengers weren’t allowed on the upper deck due to the overhead electric wires. The Tram had no doors or windows, and the Upper Deck had no roof.

The Malta Tramway service was terminated on 15th December 1929.

This page makes very interesting reading.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 12:51:26 AM »
From there I see a link to:

A page linking to the Coins of Malta showing the collection of John Gatt.

This has links to other articles on coins of Malta and other collections.
Malcolm

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 10:05:36 AM »
Are there still public lifts on Malta? Do you still pay to use them?

In between there is a new - very fast - lift at the Upper Baracca Gardens and their spectacular view over the Grand Harbour. The way up is to pay at a barrier machine. No more Tokens! :-(
At the lower station you just have to cross the road to get on the ferry to the Three Cities (Vittoriosa, Senglea and Cospicua) across the Grand Harbour.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »
Very interesting. There are other lift tokens, but there are not so many lifts (and escalators) connecting streets and those I know are almost all free: Brussels, Monaco, Siena, a few places in Spain, there are probably more. This token may be one-of-a-kind.

The one paying (with coins) exception I know of is in Rocamadour, but that's not a real lift (ascenseur), but rather a cable train (funiculaire). I have yet to find a free funicular. They need a driver, while lifts can be fully automatic.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 11:15:53 AM »
There are known lift/elevator tokens from Vienna, Rome and Mexico City. Those are the ones I recall. There may also be a few from the United States.

Who needs a driver/operator? The Dubai Metro is driverless, and tokenless.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 08:46:30 AM »
There are numerous lift (hiss) tokens from Sweden - e.g. Katarinahissen and Mariahissen in Stockholm.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 10:52:38 AM »
Please note that I wrote about public lifts connecting streets and differentiated between lifts and cable trains.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:59:48 PM by Figleaf »

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 02:03:33 PM »
Here you use shanks pony!  ;D

...and there are a lot of steps, actually around 870+

Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 08:07:32 AM »
More on the Tramways and lifts from The Tokens and Checks of Malta
Malcolm