Author Topic: One token, two ads  (Read 296 times)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
One token, two ads
« on: January 09, 2021, 09:15:25 PM »
This one is special, so it gets its own thread. First, there is the ad for Ford, packaged as a 75th anniversary medal that looks like a euro coin, advertising an open door day in 2000. That creates a problem, because euros circulate in many countries. So which German speaking euro country got a Ford presence in 1925? Germany and Austria qualify. This must be the only Ford ad ever that is unclear about which country it applies to. I am not even surprised I cannot find the car in the list of Ford vehicles on Wikipedia.

So we look at the other side and find an English legend and a nicely detailed industrial complex. Schuler! Them of the Schuler presses! The numismatic part of my heart beats faster. Schuler's web site says the company HQ is on Schuler-platz 1 in Göppingen. Google maps shows the address: a concrete-and-glass hyper-boring office building. No more information from the corporate web site. Is it really THAT Schuler AG? The logo and the motto FORMING THE FUTURE say it is. But where's that building?

One token, two ads and neither is clear enough to make out even the country. This token is a collection of records. My solution: make the whole Schuler marketing team go to Sweden on their knees to visit Sporrong and learn how to advertise yourself on half a token you make for someone else. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
Re: One token, two ads
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 11:50:53 PM »
I have a similar piece somewhere for Mercedes by Schuler...

The Ford piece shows a (European) Ford Fiesta from about 2000.

The "Schuler" making presses for forming car body panels and "Schuler" making machines that have made billions of bi-metallic (and other) coins/tokens are the same, so they are the same company.

This page...

https://www.schulergroup.com/major/us/unternehmen/standorte/index.html

lists various German locations for this company, none in Austria.

English and German versions of the main website both use "FORMING THE FUTURE".

There are some other Schuler tokens, some with Schuler related info on both sides.

A German token, that would have been made by Schuler in one of their factories with one of their presses.

Does this make more sense of it ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline taylorandheaton

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 12:28:53 AM »
Nice adv token! Schuler did more Duel Adv tokens like this .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline taylorandheaton

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 02:42:29 AM »
Nice adv token! Schuler did more Duel Adv tokens like this .

Another sample,

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 08:34:23 AM »
Thank you gentlemen. A German token. I was already checking the other Schuler addresses in Germany. No hits so far. The Ford Fiesta Mark IV was assembled from 1995 in Cologne and Saarlouis. Maybe that is a clue as to where the building is.

@taylorandheaton Embassy machinery of 104 High Street, St Albans (Greater London) made metal-forming machinery. It looks like the brand no longer exists.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline taylorandheaton

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 01:10:05 PM »
Thank you gentlemen. A German token. I was already checking the other Schuler addresses in Germany. No hits so far. The Ford Fiesta Mark IV was assembled from 1995 in Cologne and Saarlouis. Maybe that is a clue as to where the building is.

@taylorandheaton Embassy machinery of 104 High Street, St Albans (Greater London) made metal-forming machinery. It looks like the brand no longer exists.

Peter
Thanks Peter, also another example: The Birmingham Mint Adv Token for De La Rue ,UK( One of the biggest Banknotes Co in the world)—Money for Money!

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
One token, two ads
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 02:59:01 PM »
Nice token indeed!

So...what was the purpose of issuing this token? A souvenir? To whom it was issued and how?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 04:01:47 PM »
Ford Germany was founded in 1925. First place was Berlin; five years later they moved to Cologne ...

Christian

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 05:48:12 PM »
Each side makes a certain amount of sense by itself, Aditya, it's the combination of the sides that is odd.

The Ford side is a souvenir medal for the 75th anniversary of Ford Germany. Companies are not much into history, but a jubilee can be exploited to boost sales. That's why the best-selling model is shown. They had an open doors day on 2nd September 2000 (can you imagine a car showroom with locked doors?) and likely distributed the medal to all comers. There were probably more gimmicks and some discounts or financing offers (US makers like to do their own car financing, but in Germany, that's bank territory).

The Schuler side is an advertising, not for Ford (I checked their assembly plants in Cologne and Saarlouis for a building like the one pictured) but for itself. Schuler makes coin presses. It is quite likely that it made this token. It also delivers metal parts, e.g. to the car industry. As the Embassy token shows, they like advertising big on tokens of related industries, showing off "partnerships". Schuler's partners may have had a sweetheart deal on such tokens.

The problem with this set-up is that your average Ford client hasn't got a clue what Schuler is, what it produces or why he/she should be interested The Schuler ad has no understandable commercial message, just an uninformative corporate slogan in a misleading language and a tiny, common-looking logo. The opportunity Schuler created, Schuler wasted. Other metallic ads for companies making coin presses say something like "this piece was struck on that press" with a picture of the press, not a factory. Handy when you are in a trade show. You can make a lot of noise with your press and hand out flashy stuff that looks like coins.

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 06:18:58 PM »
(US makers like to do their own car financing, but in Germany, that's bank territory)

Hmm, like the Ford and Volkswagen banks? ;) But yes, of course you can also do it the "classical" way, via a different bank. By the way, the Ford factory in Saarlouis would have celebrated its 50th anniversary last year, also with some Open Doors event. Guess why that got canceled ...  :-\

Christian

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 07:09:36 PM »
The building on the Ford/Schuler token says "SCHULER" on it and remember this was 20 years ago so the factory could look different now or they could have moved out.

The Schuler presses for the car industry seem to be very large presses for forming car body panels, those panels and rather likely only made in the car factory.

Info I saw about the 2019 open day at the Ford factory in Saarlouis said how they have an open day there every year. I suppose it will be a bit of an exhibition. The people they will want to have at these events will be workers, the potential "next generation" of workers, etc.. and as exhibitors... likely major component and machine suppliers etc..

Thanks Mr Paul Baker