News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Silver: Rising Prices Over 80 Years

Started by Abhay, April 30, 2011, 04:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

By David L. Ganz, Numismatic News

What a time to be working on my 27th book. The topic is bullion and in it will be in-depth analysis of silver, gold, platinum and palladium. Quite naturally, it covers coinage, but more in the sense of bullion coins than numismatic rarities – though with current prices involved, even a common pre-1965 Roosevelt dime is beginning to show surprising.

Let's take a look at what happened to last year's bullion coins (whose face value is making them stand out in a really different way).

Take the ordinary, circulated silver dollar (which has .7734 troy ounces of silver at your disposal if not worn. The April 25 price seen on Kitco.com was $47.41 a troy ounce.

That means the common silver dollar in circulated condition has at least $36.67 worth of silver in it. It's evident that this is not likely to be the high point of the marketplace.

The lowly dime, with .07234 troy ounces of silver has almost $3.43 worth of precious metals in it; the half dollar is $17.15 and the quarter is half that or $8.57 per coin. For a short set of Washington quarters (1941-1965, not counting the 1950 overdate) that amounts to about 61 coins with a face value of just over $15 (and $523 worth of precious metal). In VF, these coins are bullion only with almost no numismatic attribute whatsoever.

It's still a very collectible set, no longer out of circulation of course – but now it stands in the bullion camp. (In fact, not until MS-63 or so do the coins begin to take on real numismatic attributes: (The 1941-P quarter, mintage 79 million, starts to price something like this in MS-63 condition:

1941 Quarter

MS-63      $17.50
MS-64      $26.25
MS-65      $40.00
MS-66      $62.50
MS-67      $357.50
MS-68      $6,444.00

Those who remember the heady days of 1980 when silver had a high of over $50 an ounce (but an average for the year of $20.63, will note an immediate difference in this silver rally.

First, look at the average prices since 2008; its up and down, but steady in the period 2009-2011. It's seen easily in the accompanying graph. The trend since 2009 is steadily upward, if more slowly than in the 1980s when the Hunt Brothers were behind a rapid change in this market. These silver prices seem to be similar to rises for other commodities – and those prices show that the market is one of consumption.

Silver has been the subject of long-standing political drama. Silver and the so-called "Crime of '73" was the dominant issue in American politics during the quarter of a century before the Gold Standard Act of 1900 put an end to the discussion, but not the dispute.

Gold's monetary role remained contentious to the extent that Americans legislatively (and by executive fiat) lost the ability to own gold bullion (but not some gold coins) in 1934 – with some waging a battle into the early 1970s to regain the privilege (finally succeeding on Dec. 31, 1974).

Platinum and palladium are new to the scene – but the controversy is right here, right now – we'll have a palladium bullion coin being merchandised probably in 2012 all brought to you by Act of Congress.

Congressional hearings held by Rep Ron Paul ought to be enough to persuade you that the Mint still needs basic marketing instructions. But at least with silver, they are selling into the market (though as a result of the jump over $40 an ounce, their pricing on silver proof sets is almost a losing proposition. (I'm sure glad I got my sets before the Mint stopped selling them temporarily, according the website.)

Abhay

Source: Numismaster

INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Coinsforever

Interesting article , apart from Gold & Silver .

Copper , Nickel will be on upward trend........................

Cheers
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

akona20

Given America's increasingly stupid position on financial matters the highway to hell is almost at journey's end. The abyss is there.

The appreciation of the Australian dollar aginst the US is cause for greater money making that what is for here an illusion in the US dollar price rise in precious metals.

Md. Shariful Islam

In my opinion silver was always undervalued. At present time known silver collection on earth is less than known gold collection. Secondly gold has only jewellery use while silver has industrial use as well as Jewellery utility. Just consider the time value of money and one will understand that purchasing power of $50 of 1980s were far high than that of 2011. At 7% interest rate, which is an average of interest rate that should be considered as risk free rate of return the present value of $50 of 1980 should be in 2011 as follows:

(1+.07)31 x $50 = $ 407

I have ommited fractions. Historical ratio between silver and gold was 1:15 which is 1:60 at the present market. Considering the utility and scarcity of silver I assume that silver should reach back to the historical proportion at least. Last one year trend also supports this assumption. We listen from my mother and wife that the gold has gone beyond their reach. But actually in one year gold gained about 50% while the gain of silver is more than 150%. I anticipate this race of silver will continue until it reaches to $300 per ounce (I am conservative in my assumption).

Islam

akona20

Gold's comparative value to silver doubled in the approximate time 1874-1894 from approx 16:1 to 32:1. The exact years are not important but the time scale is. During the Great Depression the gap widened greatly (peak 73:1) and then the next great widening reached its peak in 1941 where it stood at approx 100:1. So we have the depression and subsequent war as the great divergence mechanisims but the great silver finds of the latter 19th century as the real push for the divergence. For those interested in such things as gold and silver standards the problems with this shift in price (value) ratio is intriguing for many countries.