Portuguese India dinheiro, D.João III & bazaruco, D.Pedro II

Started by jlcarvoeiro, April 28, 2011, 11:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

It is a quartered circle with the date in the quarters.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

jlcarvoeiro

Richie the simbol is an armilary sphere and the right ide up is the way i posted the fake coin.Thank you.

Rangnath

Oesho

Just as an additional documentation of the coins discussed above herewith a dinheiro (2,06 g.) and a bastardo (10.95 g.) of similar type.
Also a AE 2 bazaruco 1686 (7.32 g.) of D. Pedro II has been listed.

Why describes in the header "FAKE bazaruco, D. Pedro II"? I don't think there is any reason to describe it as a fake.

jlcarvoeiro

I didn´t wright FAKE bazaruco in my original post , probably one of the moderators did because my doubt was on the dinheiro and not on the bazaruco.Thank you Oesho for your addicional information.

Rangnath

Quote from: jlcarvoeiro on May 06, 2011, 01:27:59 AM
I didn´t wright FAKE bazaruco in my original post , probably one of the moderators did because my doubt was on the dinheiro and not on the bazaruco.Thank you Oesho for your addicional information.

Alas! I am that moderator! 
Pardon for my confusion and I corrected the header.
Oesho, I love your examples, specially the last one.  It is absolutely beautiful, patina and all.
richie

brokencompass

@Rangnath : Adding more to what jlcarvoeiro said. It is actually a Portuguese armillary sphere, an equipment used for navigation and astronomy. The lines represent the parallels and the meridians I think. It was used to find position on earth's surface using the stars as reference. It is also a part of the Portuguese coat of arms.

My goal for 2017 is to finish finish my British India copper collection (1/4 anna, 1/2 Pice and 1/12 anna) by year and Mintmark. Any help with missing coins in BU grades is highly appreciated.
https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/MySets_Listing.aspx?PeopleSetID=130880

Rangnath

Well thank you brokencompass.  Though getting this information from you contains some irony, no?  Sort of like the blind giving the blind his walking cane?
All kidding aside, when was this equipment originally used?  During the 16th century?
richie

brokencompass

lol good one Richie! I didn't get it for a minute   :)

From reading about it on Wikipedia, it looks like it's been around for a very long time and improvements were made to it through the ages by different people. I think probably since the Portuguese used it for navigation in the 15th and 16th century during their age of discovery helping them expand their empire throughout the world, it was important enough for them to include it in their coat of arms.

Looks like even Brazil kept it after it's independence from the Portuguese.

My goal for 2017 is to finish finish my British India copper collection (1/4 anna, 1/2 Pice and 1/12 anna) by year and Mintmark. Any help with missing coins in BU grades is highly appreciated.
https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/MySets_Listing.aspx?PeopleSetID=130880

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brokencompass

oh yes this is one, but it was present in every coat of arms since its independence from the Portuguese.

Looks like even the British East India Company had an armillary sphere in it's coat of arms too!

Figleaf

Not quite. It was abandoned in 1889 because the monarchy was overthrown. The new arms show the Southern cross. Also, the arms shown above are not of the EIC (attached) or of the Merchant Adventurers of London (attached)

Peter

andyg

Quote from: Figleaf on July 30, 2011, 01:09:32 AM
Also, the arms shown above are not of the EIC (attached) or of the Merchant Adventurers of London (attached)

Peter

are you sure?

Original Arms of the East India Company. Illustration from A Short History of the English People by J R Green (Macmillan, 1892).
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....