Author Topic: Bridges on coins  (Read 16083 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Bridges on coins
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 04:28:22 PM »
The "25th of April" Bridge is a suspension bridge connecting Lisbon, capital of Portugal, to Almada on the left bank of the Tejo River. It was inaugurated on August 6, 1966 and a train platform was added in 1999. Because of its similar colouring, it is often compared to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, USA. In fact, it was built by the same company (American Bridge Company) that constructed the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge - not the Golden Gate - which explains its similar design. With a total length of 2,277 m, it is the 20th largest suspension bridge in the world. The upper platform carries six car lanes, the lower platform two train tracks. Until 1974, the bridge was named Salazar Bridge.

Offline Md. Shariful Islam

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
    • Coins of Medieval Bengal
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 08:42:26 AM »
1.2 Km long steel structure Hardinge bridge was completed in the year 1912. This railway bridge has a long history and has contributed to economy of Bangladesh for long long time. One year from now to complete its hundred years. I want coins on its hundred years.

Islam 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:26:07 AM by Tanka »

Offline Destrans

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 12:24:23 PM »
500 Escudos - Ponte Vasco da Gama

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:37:16 PM by Niels »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »
This is the big brother of the 25th of April bridge shown above. Both cross the Tagus at Lisbon. Why can we build such beauties and not solve traffic jams or parking problems?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 01:17:26 PM »
Maybe because building such a single bridge is expensive enough? As far as I know, the TTT (rail bridge) project in Lisbon was "killed", or at least put to sleep, for such reasons ...

Here is an older bridge, on a 2007 Austrian collector coin. A bridge for the "Nordbahn" rail connection, across the Danube river near Vienna. The reverse shows the first, wooden bridge, see here http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Nordbahnbrücke-Wien-1836.jpg.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 01:20:11 PM »
And another old but interesting bridge - a 100-year-old "loop" viaduct near Brusio in Switzerland.
(see http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Bernina_Brusio.jpg)

Christian

Offline kumarrahul

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 04:36:05 PM »
I saw this thread.. and was immediately reminded of a beautiful 'bridge' coin in my collection.. This ones from Yemen featuring the Shaharah Bridge.  It had a defensive purpose and was built in 1904. It stands 200 meters above the valley floor, is 20 meters long, and was built by traditional means.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Shaharah_bridge.jpg

Offline kumarrahul

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 04:39:07 PM »
And another old but interesting bridge - a 100-year-old "loop" viaduct near Brusio in Switzerland.
(see http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Bernina_Brusio.jpg)

Christian

Really loved the original image with the train running on the loop... and the beautiful rendition on the coin.. quite nice!

Offline kumarrahul

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 04:59:51 PM »
Here's my 25 cents :-)  I guess one can find almost every theme in the US Quarters..
Two bridges featured on the US Quarters- Pell Bridge in Rhode Island and the New River Gorge Bridge in West Virginia..

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 06:54:57 PM »
Here's a very artistic view of the Devil's Bridge (Teufelsbrücke) in Switzerland, which gives acces to the St. Gotthard Pass. The coin is a Swiss 20 franc coin.

Offline kumarrahul

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 03:34:07 PM »
I found another appealing bridge coin today in my collection.. This one features a modern arch bridge from Ghana.  I get the feeling that some of these diminutive coins appear much more appealing when photographed.. it had never grabbed my attention earlier.. but the photograph makes the coin look very beautiful!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:32:48 AM by <k> »

Offline Md. Shariful Islam

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
    • Coins of Medieval Bengal
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 07:54:35 PM »
It certainly is a beauty close up. Unfortunately coins are getting steadily smaller because of metal prices. Eventually, they may be too small to carry a decent thematic design.  :(

Nice bridge, nice coin and above all nice photography.

Smaller the coins larger the error from Calcutta mint, larger the collection of our members.

Islam

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 09:59:27 PM »
My favourite bridge, the Kapellbrücke in Luzern on a 1901 shooting thaler.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 12:51:32 AM »
And here is the same bridge, on a Swiss coin, without guns. :)
(Image: Schimmer/MA-Shops)

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 12:17:41 AM »
Australia, $1, 2007.  Sydney Harbour Bridge.