UK - JPM gaming token

Started by Figleaf, April 23, 2011, 11:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

I know I have seen this one before...

4.7 gram, 22.2 mm - brassy

obv: logo JoM (I think)
rev: 20p above TOKEN

British, but what was it used for and who is JoM?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

Tokens with JPM are quite frequent in the UK - could it be a 'P' rather than an 'O'?
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

africancoins

This token is JPM...

Likely 1980's.

Yes British.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Figleaf

A Pee. That cleared it up. British gaming machine token, period 1988-2000.

Source: Games Data Base

Thanks.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

africancoins

I am fairly sure that JPM did fruit machine games and not just the types seen in that link....  in the earlier days of JPM (e.g. when they had a 5p token) those quiz games etc... just didn't exist.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Figleaf

The denomination points to latter day use, I think. In 1968, 20p would have been too much for a game, today, it would probably be too little. So when was 20p normal?

Peter

andyg

I would go with Paul's "likely 1980's."
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Dave13

Does anyone have information on this token please.
My collection of commemorative medals, coins and tokens.
http://www.neocollect.com/user/dave

FosseWay

I can't help with the ID but since I have its 20p sibling I'd be interested in more info as well.

malj1

This Jam token actually read JPM for JPM (Automatic Machines) Ltd., of Cardiff [est. 1972] with at least twelve different types known.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Dave13

Thanks again Malcolm. I've been looking at your tokens and I really like the Royal Artillery  ones.
They are something I would defiantly buy if I see them around. I also saw you had a Vickers  token I live near the Vickers Armstrong factory   on the Tyne.
Dave.
My collection of commemorative medals, coins and tokens.
http://www.neocollect.com/user/dave

malj1

Thanks, I find the Vickers tokens especially interesting with the amalgamations of names at various times such as with Maxim and again with Armstrong Whitworth - such famous names; plus all the various factories around the country adding further interest, so many types to collect.

B S B Co Ltd (Barrow Shipbuilding Company Limited), 1871-88
N C & A Co Ltd (Naval Construction & Armament Co Ltd), 1888-97
V S & Co Ltd (Vickers Sons & Co Ltd) and
V S & M Ltd (Vickers Sons & Maxim Ltd), 1897-1911
Vickers Ltd, 1911-27
V A Ltd (Vickers-Armstrong Ltd) 1927-55
Malcolm

malj1

JPM International are now in Birmingham.

JPM International was established in 1972 from its sales and manufacturing base in the United Kingdom. From these beginnings it was soon to build a sturdy reputation for designing and building amusement, gaming and skill machines for markets within the United Kingdom and abroad. Always looking for new and original ways to match the latest technologies to their core markets, JPM has brought many innovations to the competitive amusement sector. JPM has now extended into SWP (Skill With Prize) market with machines like "Give Us A Break", "Monopoly" and more recently "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire".

JPM International
Eclipse House, 2700 The Crescent, Birmingham Business Park, Birmingham, B37 7YJ
Malcolm

Chinasmith

The token looks modern. Could JPM be  John Pinches Mint -- a well known British firm, descendent from a family of die sinkers. See Biographical Dictionary of Medallists  by Forrer.
Researcher on coins, paper money and tokens of China.

malj1

Originally established as JPM (Automatic Machines) Ltd., Leckwith Trading Estate, Cardiff, South Glamorgan in 1972.

The token referred to above is listed in Machine tokens as Hayes 214.6

The company is now known as JPM International Group

JPM Head Office
Seymour House
5 Hampton Court,
Marsh Lane,
Hampton-in-Arden,
Solihull,
B92 0AJ
Malcolm