News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Two Canadians walk into this bar see...

Started by Prosit, November 27, 2007, 01:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosit

Catchy title don't you think?  They could have been in a bar at one time I bet...

Anyway, added two Canadian Lg Cents to my collection 1876-H and 1881-H.
I adjusted the image so it could be seen easier, these coins are normally (as are these) dark
chocolate in color and hard to scan.  These are great fun to track down and modest in cost.

This hobby...coin collecting...very addicting don't you agree?  Think I will give it a try for a few years  ;D

Dale

Figleaf

That colour adjustment does do them good. I like to see all the detail on these wonderfully preserved pieces. Only the flabby chin reminds you that Victoria by this time was a pyramidal pompous donkey :) You wonder if the guy who designed the wreath of maple leafs also made the wreaths on Indian copper coins...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

Lets don't get tooooo far into age giving you a flabby chin  ;D

The British dollar of around the turn of the 20th century has a design around the rim that I see similarities to on quite a few pieces I have seen
from the far east (not necessarily coins).  Maybe the design on the Canadian Cents was simply an adaptation of the other design or vice versa
or a copy of an admired design.

If you had a couple pics of what you are talking about, side by side, might be interesting.  I will see if I can find a comparision to the Dollar I mentioned.

Dale

Prosit

Great!

Pre-1900, I have:
1882 H
1881 H
1876 H

This next year, pretty sure I will work on this group (a year date run to present) as opportunity arises and funds allow.
The 1859 I have will need replacing as it is both well worn and had in the past a poor cleaning by someone.
The wear I can stand, the bad clean job I can not.

Dale

Quote from: BC Numismatics on November 28, 2007, 04:33:08 AM
Dale,I have got both of these coins.

Aidan.

Figleaf

Here's an example of the wreath I was thinking of. This is India Y 37, but the same wreath figures on other Indian bronzes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

Very nice looking coin!  And I see the resemblence is pronounced.

Dale

Prosit

The catalogue I have (2003) show the 1858 at $50 in VG-8 and the XF-40 is listed at $120.  While that coin price is doable for me; it is not a coin I would casually buy if I found one.  It would take some planning.  I feel no compulsion for this series to be complete so if I chose not to pursue a 1858 that would not be a problem for me.  Also, I have no interest (in general) in the varities that exist.

My Canadian cent collection contains 108 coins with no duplication but there are some of the more modern varities in spite of me not being interested in varities  ;D  A friend in Canada sent them to me.

Hopefully this next year I can add a few more of the older coins  :)

Dale