Author Topic: Mysore, Tipu Sultan, AM1224, AE Paisa, Nagar mint, uncirculated condition,  (Read 6576 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
A nice coin from Mysore, so many of these usually appear worn but this is extremely well struck & also centred on the dies,
this was in a batch of coins I bought when I was just 15 in 1961 & triggered an interest in Indian coins

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:47:30 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
Re: A coin from Mysore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 04:57:27 PM »
A real nice and beautiful coin. Worth keeping in a coin show!!

As you said, normally Mysore Elephant coins are very much worn out, and often you find modern fakes in the market.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 05:13:36 PM »
What a beauty!

I am of about the same age. I think if this had been my first coin, I would have collected very differently...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »
What a beauty!

I am of about the same age. I think if this had been my first coin, I would have collected very differently...

Peter

I lived in Birmingham (UK)  back then & used to buy Roman coins with my pocket money from a jewellers in the centre, I saw an advert in a coin magazine for 'Format coins & medals Ltd' Market street B,ham. Come Saturday I went to find them, they were upstairs above another building next to the wholesale fish & meat markets ( stinky) I was amazed at the coins available & began a collection of English hammered coins & Maundy money.
 After a while they moved to Broad street with a proper shop & I became a regular visitor & one of the partners showed me some Indian coins in a cloth bag that were awaiting the offer to be accepted before they could be up for sale, there were Mughal rupees & about 30 coins altogether inc the Mysore one, I was captivated & couldn't get there quick enough the following weekend only to be told they hadn't yet heard from the seller  ???
Well eventually they were available & I sat there for an hour while the coins were identified by one of the partners who could read Persian /Urdu. I couldn't afford them all at once but they were put in the safe & I gradually got the lot! ;D
 He was kind enough to do me the complete alphabet showing how the letters changed depending on where they fell in the words & problems with the lack of vowels, I did pick up a rudimentary grasp of it along with the much easier Devanagari.
Vic

Offline nomadbird

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 05:55:42 PM »
Hey Vic

Daily you are unveiling a beauty. Its very nice to see and now i am feeling i need to subscribe for all ur post :)

Wonderful coins

Thanks
Nirmal
Thx
Nomadbird

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 11:59:26 PM »
A nice coin from Mysore, so many of these usually appear worn but this is extremely well struck & also centred on the dies,
this was in a batch of coins I bought when I was just 15 in 1961 & triggered an interest in Indian coins

The coin itself speaks about its beauty , I do agree with Abhay that Mysore Royal coins in such conditions are very hard to find now a days............................

I would say "mouth watering coin"........................

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 09:48:55 PM »
Absoulutely Stunning!
If the weight is somewhere between 10.82 and 12.51 grams, I suppose that the coin in the standard catalog,  Km 103.6, is a good fit.  The "Alif" over the elephant and on the reverse, the retrograde 4221.  The mint of that coin is Nagar. 
Is the weight about right,  capnbirdseye?
richie

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Seems this might be a scarce or rare variety with 'ye' in Mauludi inscribed in 'lazy' form,  you can see from this photo how it is normally written on coins of this type compared to mine above, so far it seems only scarce 1/2 paisas are known of this type
Vic

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
I lived in Birmingham (UK)  back then & used to buy Roman coins with my pocket money from a jewellers in the centre, I saw an advert in a coin magazine for 'Format coins & medals Ltd' Market street B,ham. Come Saturday I went to find them, they were upstairs above another building next to the wholesale fish & meat markets ( stinky) I was amazed at the coins available & began a collection of English hammered coins & Maundy money.
 After a while they moved to Broad street with a proper shop & I became a regular visitor & one of the partners showed me some Indian coins in a cloth bag that were awaiting the offer to be accepted before they could be up for sale, there were Mughal rupees & about 30 coins altogether inc the Mysore one, I was captivated & couldn't get there quick enough the following weekend only to be told they hadn't yet heard from the seller  ???
Well eventually they were available & I sat there for an hour while the coins were identified by one of the partners who could read Persian /Urdu. I couldn't afford them all at once but they were put in the safe & I gradually got the lot! ;D
 He was kind enough to do me the complete alphabet showing how the letters changed depending on where they fell in the words & problems with the lack of vowels, I did pick up a rudimentary grasp of it along with the much easier Devanagari.

A beautiful specimen!

Moreover, I always enjoy your narratives, Vic! I also started collecting seriously (British India) around age 15, much to the distress of my parents. I often use your narratives/experiences in coin-related arguments with my fiance/wife! (She wants to sell some coins to pay for wedding-related expenses.)
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline coin_lover

Absolute Beauty  :o

Vic show me your Tipu's Coin Collection

Offline navab

Very nice ! Tipu coins are my favourite.
Navab EK
Navab

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member

Dear Tipoo most of my Tipoo coins are just regular worn ones & I don't have anything special apart from the one above
Vic

Offline coin_lover

Vic this one is an absolute beauty, looks like this was just minted for you. If you are going to sell this forget about ordinary buyers and auction houses, museums will purchase it from you for a very handsome price.  :)

Offline navab

Very nice specimen of course
Navab

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member

Here is a nice 2/3 Pavali, it's ancient ticket says Krishna Raja Wodeyar 1/8 Rupee,   1.83g
Vic