Author Topic: Coins from Pondicherry - French India  (Read 6082 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Coins from Pondicherry - French India
« on: April 22, 2011, 12:40:38 PM »
This forum has revitalised my interest in my coin collection, accumulated mostly during the 1960's when there was little interest in Indian coins in the coin collecting world I had some real bargains & only wish I hadn't sold some when I got married, I had several zodiacal rupees inc Taurus the bull which cost me 6 each ! from Seaby's London

Another collection I bought in 1963 from a retired Indian army officer -  Major Mahbert who was then aged 94 , then a young NCO he had obtained them from a Maharaja's palace in 1889 destroyed in a fire & some of the coins show signs of fire blackening.

here is a handful of French East India coins for Pondicherry ,struck at Arcot mint they have the crescent mint mark,

I have a huge coin cabinet & I'll see if I can find something interesting that needs identification as I haven't delved in it for years
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 02:18:42 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
Re: Coins from Pondicherry - French India
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
Are you kidding - Zodiac Rupees @ 6 GBP each?? Now, each coin costs atleast 50,000 rupees (or even more depending on the condition).  :o :o

It is good that you have again found love for the coins. In fact, it is one of the best hobbies to keep oneself busy. You really must have a nice collection of old and rare coins. I can see the Arkat rupees in your hand - which are quite rare to find these days.

Please do share your treasure with all of us, we would love to see all those beautiful coins here on this forum.

A BIG WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF COINS!!!  :) :)

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »
I have just found a similar handful of Sikh empire rupees, A couple of beautiful Jaipur nazarana rupees, a 1912 Sailana state 1/4 anna with original mint lustre ,
so much to explore,I'm sad at the loss of  some of the coins I sold in 1980 as we needed money to buy a house back then, All the gold coins went to  a dealer who had his pick of the collection altho I do recall refusing some of the prices he offered luckily, the coin cabinet has not been accessible for many years because it was jammed sideways in our spare room but now it's been dragged out
here is a picture

Vic

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 02:17:29 PM »
I have never seen anything like that before!! :o :o

You do have a wonderful coin cabinet. Are those Akbar Dams which I see in some of the Coin chests? They look quite thick and large - just like Akbar Double Dams.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 02:49:25 PM »
I have never seen anything like that before!! :o :o

You do have a wonderful coin cabinet. Are those Akbar Dams which I see in some of the Coin chests? They look quite thick and large - just like Akbar Double Dams.

Abhay

no those in question are Sultans of Gujerat, Bijapur etc.

I just amazingly found some of the original B.A.Seaby receipts from way back in the 60's  8)

those prices you see there are in shillings & pence, so 3 shillings would be equal to 15 modern pence :o

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:57:05 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »
I was just 2 1/2 years when you must have purchased all those coins.  :) :)

It is true that now you don't find too many coins coming to the market. Surely, like Investments, starting early is very rewarding, as the prices were quite reasonable in earlier days, and moreover, the coins were available in plenty.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 05:04:23 PM »
I was just 2 1/2 years when you must have purchased all those coins.  :) :)

It is true that now you don't find too many coins coming to the market. Surely, like Investments, starting early is very rewarding, as the prices were quite reasonable in earlier days, and moreover, the coins were available in plenty.

Abhay

It's true, back then nobody was interested in coins from India, After I became a trusted customer of Seaby's they used to send me a small box packed full of an assortment of Indian coins on approval every month & I just selected & paid for what I wanted & returned the remainder, ( usually none)  ;D   I was young & single in those days so had plenty of money to splash about until I got married  >:D
Now we have our first grandchild, a boy  ;D I wonder if when he's old enough I can get him interested in coins  8)
Vic

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 05:25:45 AM »
I have just found a similar handful of Sikh empire rupees, A couple of beautiful Jaipur nazarana rupees, a 1912 Sailana state 1/4 anna with original mint lustre ,
so much to explore,I'm sad at the loss of  some of the coins I sold in 1980 as we needed money to buy a house back then, All the gold coins went to  a dealer who had his pick of the collection altho I do recall refusing some of the prices he offered luckily, the coin cabinet has not been accessible for many years because it was jammed sideways in our spare room but now it's been dragged out
here is a picture

Hi Vic ,

It seems you are unfolding the treasure before our eyes .

The coin cabinet itself is impressive ,no doubt about your collection , please keep on posting and sharing these gems .

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 12:27:54 AM »
I certainly second aan09's encouragement. My mouth is watering for more!
richie