1977 Bangladeshi 1 Taka

Started by Md. Shariful Islam, April 17, 2011, 04:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Md. Shariful Islam

:):D ;D >:D
This is very rare 1977 Bangladeshi 1 Taka coin. These 1 taka coins were issued and later disappeared from the market. During the later part of 1980s there was only 1 taka paper currency in circulation. I found this coin that time and asked my father whether there is any 1 taka coin or not. He looked at this coin with awe. At present there are 1 taka coin in circulation in Bangladesh. But this 1977 version? Really difficult to find. :o

Islam 

asm

"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: asm on April 17, 2011, 05:22:32 PM
The coin is in Brass?

Amit

No... These coins were issued in Copper Nikkel.

Figleaf

I suspect that there is a large difference between coins available in Bangladesh and Bangladeshi coins available outside the country. I believe large quantities of the 1973 and 1974 coins were exported for collectors before they could be brought into circulation. The exception was the 50 poisha 1973, which remains very difficult to find (mine is vf, while all other Bangladesh coins I have are unc). Even that coin is not rare, with a mintage of 18 million...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Md. Shariful Islam

I have come accross only two of this coin in circulation... Problem of our country coins is that these coins are melted by blade factories frequently... Thats why they disappear fast...
The 50 paisa of 1973 is also very rare... I found only two and they are in very bad condition...

Islam

Figleaf

I have heard the razor blade story before, but find it doubtful. Razor blades are made of hardened stainless steel, not copper-nickel, like the taka 1977. The coins could at most be sold for scrap after a prolonged period of inflation.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Md. Shariful Islam

Peter
Your argument is logical... Actually there is no research based report on this issue... All we know from newspaper rreports... Once I visited Bangladesh Bank.... One of the officials told me that they have to handle problems like police case against persons caught red handed with sacks full of 5 taka coins at the border... I don't know the rest of the thing...

BTW. Do you have this 1977 taka in your collection?

Islam

Figleaf

The funny thing is that they tell exactly the same stories in India: smugglers caught at the border and coins turned into razor blades. Maybe the coins are sold for scrap to a third country, where it is not illegal to melt them down. Such an operation would be possible only if the metal in the coins would be worth more than the denomination of the coin. In that case, it is a folly to continue to make the coins.

Governments should learn to preserve seignorage on their coins, so they will not have to make laws against profiting from awkward situations they created themselves. As for melting coins, the government already profited from the coins at issue. It is expensive and not worthwhile to stop melting old cons. The government's energy would be much better spent on preventing high inflation.

I have the 1975 version of this type in my collection. I only need KM 9c, 18.2 and 24, thanks to a WoC member.

Peter

Md. Shariful Islam

Bangladesh govt. has already reduced the size of 1 and 2 taka coins so that they are no longer feasible in melting...
I actually dont understand 'KM' sort of things... Would u please translate them... I shall try my best to collect them for you...

Islam

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: Figleaf on April 18, 2011, 11:22:44 AM
Here is how to get KM numbers and free access to a world coin catalogue:

• Go to http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis.jsp
  • Click on "Find my coin" (blue tag at 11 o'clock)
  • Below "select origin", change menu to "world"
  • Below "enter details", start typing Banglades in the upper field When the name of the country is visible in the menu below, click on it
  • Enter other details if you wish
  • Click on "find my coin"

The search machine has a few quirks, like insisting on "world" before you can enter country, though no other planets are available ::), not recognizing the value "1" (search for taka, not 1 taka) and numbers are treated as integers (search for 10 pesos and you also get 100 and 1000 pesos) and lists cannot be sorted, but it works.

The result will be a list of coins that meet your criteria. It may be more than one page long. If you want to change the details, click on "Refine search". The button "New search" takes you back to the third bullet above. You can get catalogue quotes ("pricing") only with a paid subscription.

Yap... Got the list... Looking for them... Should not be difficult as they are new and are in circulation... I need your mailing address please...

Islam

Globetrotter

I also have that coin, taken out of the local circulation by a swap partner from down there.

Offa

All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

africancoins

I have the Bangladesh 1 Taka of 1975 and that of 1977... I had got many other coins from Bangladesh before I got those two though, so they are not too easy to find.

Can anyone be certain of the 1 Taka 1976 existing... A quick look did not find any, only a mis-identified piece.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker