News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

My Best

Started by Md. Shariful Islam, April 09, 2011, 09:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Md. Shariful Islam

There is of course one coin in our collection that we consider as the best in our life. We feel proud of the piece. Which coin is that???

<k>

Quote from: Tanka on April 09, 2011, 09:26:58 PM
There is of course one coin in our collection that we consider as the best in our life. We feel proud of the piece. Which coin is that???

YOU may have such a coin, but I think there is no "of course" about it. I own many coins that I admire, but on different days there will be some I want to look at more than others. On some days I will look at a coin and see something I never saw before, or see again something that I had forgotten. If I asked you to choose your best child, could you do it? Possibly not. My coins are like my children.

Which of my coins interest me more in any one week will depend perhaps partly on my mood, partly on what I have been reading about; others will interest me because I have learnt something new about them.

I have a Yugoslav coin dated 1925 that I bought about a month ago, because it has a portrait of King Alexander that was created by the English numismatic artist Percy Metcalfe. I was interested in finding out more about his work. It then occurred to me that I knew nothing about this king, so I read up about him. Gradually the coin has come to have more and more meaning for me, and probably it is the coin that interests me most at the moment. Opinions, like and dislikes - these are never static, I find.

What I perhaps remember most are coins that have expanded my boundaries. I used to think I knew all the coins I wanted and would want. Then, about 2 years ago, I saw an image of a Chinese coin I had never seen before. I was fascinated and found it beautiful - it was very different from any coin I'd seen before, so I bought it. That coin is ONE of my favourites, because it expanded my numismatic horizons:

I started quite a successful topic with that coin, and several members joined in. That's another reason why I like it so much. You can see the topic here: East Asian architecture on coins.

Just when I think I know everything about what I like, I find something that challenges that opinion. That is why I think your question is maybe too simplistic, and maybe why nobody else has responded to it yet. However, we are all different. If there IS one such coin for you (and only one?), then do tell us about it, and what it means to you.

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Abhay

Amongst all the coins that I have, my best coin probably will be the 1 Jai Hind Mohur from Kutch, as only 30 Pieces were minted for this coin. But the best here means the most rarest coin that I have in my collection.

I don't know why, but I still find the Brass 3 Pence coin of UK the best looking and feeling coin in my collection. I know it is avery common coin, but the ratio of the weight and the size, the shape, the golden colour of this coin, just feels good when you hold this coin in your hand.

Abhay

INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Md. Shariful Islam

Hmm... I know that question sounds simple... But when we start trying answering the question, we find how difficult really it is to find the best... It might be easy for a beginner like me who has really small collection and less knowledge in this area, but it is gonna be tougher than many questions for the masters in this school... Objective of my this post is to let the members at least an opportunity think and compare their bests... I request all members to participate in this thread... I also request all to upload pics of your best(s)...

Islam   

Figleaf

I have a coin that was left to me by one of my best friends when he died... I have one that reminds me of my numismatic exploits when I was young. I am fond of a coin that is now described in a different way in the SCWC because of me. I have a clever advertising token with a number of witticisms on it. I have a coin struck expressly for a wedding and one with a baby's head that have at present great appeal to me for personal reasons ;). I have a small copper coin that took very long and many people to identify. It turned out to be completely different from what most people (including myself) had thought it was. I have a fake, so childish it always makes every coin collector smile.

What these objects have in common is that they are all round and metallic. Nothing else. They represent widely different, but strong emotions to me, ranging from birth to death, from hobby to science, from humor to friendship. How shall I compare them, let alone prioritize them?

This answer may not satisfy you, but it has an important consolation: I also don't have a worst coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

I actually quite like Abhay's suggestion - a lot of the "common" coins that we don't give a second glance are quite delightful in their own way.  The brass 3d with both its reverse designs, the "wren" farthing of 1937-56, the Churchill crown, the quite plain "Springbok" reverse design of South Africa's 1965 silver rand ...

But also, like Peter, I would say there are no absolute favourites and no absolute worsts either, and what I like at any given time may depend on my mood at that moment or any of a hundred other factors.  Things I've had some connection with in some small way can make the top of the non-existent list for a brief moment, though a medal that I managed to design by accident is closer to "my worst" (I roughed out a design for the RNSNZ's 75th anniversary medal on the computer and submitted it as a draft for further consideration - the committee accepted it as it was and the rather two-dimensional design was produced from that, much to my horror!)

<k>

Quote from: translateltd on April 10, 2011, 12:58:54 PM
a medal that I managed to design by accident is closer to "my worst" (I roughed out a design for the RNSNZ's 75th anniversary medal on the computer and submitted it as a draft for further consideration - the committee accepted it as it was and the rather two-dimensional design was produced from that, much to my horror!)

Maybe we could stretch a point and get you to exhibit your medal in the "Disasters on coins" topic. I was almost tempted to post the Alderney Wills + Kate royal wedding coin in there.  ;D

Coinsforever

Well it is individual's perception , one may say it is best other may dislike the same.

My favorite coins are :

1949 Dominion of India pattern coins , but these coins always elude me.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

translateltd

Quote from: coffeetime on April 10, 2011, 03:27:51 PM
Maybe we could stretch a point and get you to exhibit your medal in the "Disasters on coins" topic. I was almost tempted to post the Alderney Wills + Kate royal wedding coin in there.  ;D

I'll bite - here's the silver version.  Note how the badges in the centre don't align properly with the "anniversary" legends and the dates:

<k>

Oh, for shame, Martin. I bet you wanted to commit sewerage pipes when you saw that...

villa66

Quote from: engipress on April 10, 2011, 05:31:56 AM
...I don't know why, but I still find the Brass 3 Pence coin of UK the best looking and feeling coin in my collection. I know it is avery common coin, but the ratio of the weight and the size, the shape, the golden colour of this coin, just feels good when you hold this coin in your hand....

I liked the picture you posted with this comment, engipress, and appreciate your feelings about these coins.

:) v.