Author Topic: Sweden: New coins and notes in 2015/2016  (Read 17416 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Sweden: New coins and notes in 2015/2016
« on: April 07, 2011, 06:30:58 PM »
Sweden plans to introduce a new series of coins and notes in 2014 or a little later. The lowest coin denomination is and will be the 1 krona piece. A new 2 kronor coin will be introduced, and the 5 kr and 10 kr denominations will be continued. The proposed compositions are:
1 and 2 kr: copper-plated steel
5 and 10 kr: Nordic Gold (ie. the 10 kr coin remains unchanged)

According to the central bank (Riksbank), the "coins will be significantly smaller and lighter than today. The weight of the 1-krona coin, which is the most common coin, will be approximately half that of the present coin. The reintroduction of the 2-krona coin means that fewer 1-krona coins will be needed. The total weight of the coins in circulation will fall by approximately 50 per cent following the implementation of the coin reform."

Note that the image above simply shows the appearance - size and color - of the four future coin denominations. That is not what they will look like in terms of design. :) More information about the planned coins and notes can be found here (Riksbank) and in these two files (PDF, English):

New banknote and coin series: Themes and motifs
New banknote and coin series: Formats, materials and colours

Christian
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:57:08 PM by eurocoin »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Sweden: New coins and notes in 2015/2016
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 06:33:59 PM »
The total weight of the coins in circulation will fall by approximately 50 per cent following the implementation of the coin reform.

Very radical. I guess they're by implication pushing adoption of the euro even further off.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 01:36:39 PM by <k> »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 07:38:08 PM »
Who knows. Who cares. 8) Will be interesting to see the actual designs of the coins. (The themes of the notes look promising, but that would be a topic for the paper money forum ...)

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 07:42:20 PM »
Will be interesting to see the actual designs of the coins.

Royalty again. Not an interesting theme in itself, but the Swedes do do rather stylish portraits, I must admit.

translateltd

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:13:03 PM »
Royalty again. Not an interesting theme in itself, but the Swedes do do rather stylish portraits, I must admit.

They don't carry royal effigies as a matter of course, unlike the UK, so you never know what they may come up with.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 11:17:43 PM »
The current 1 kr and 10 kr coins actually have a portrait of the king; the 5 kr has his monogram. According to the website, "the lesser coat of arms may be used" too. That would be the three crowns that Sweden had on many older coins ...

Christian

Offline Ukrainii Pyat

• Collector of everything numismatic
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 02:28:14 AM »
They might just have a Queen Viktoria if he elects to step down in her favour.  By then he will have ruled nearly 40 years and he will be almost 70 yrs old.  At least the country won't collapse like Britain when Princess Charley becomes Queen of England.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »
I'm surprised they aren't adding a 20 kr coin to the series too, as there is in Norway and Denmark.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »
The central bank had actually made such a suggestion (see this http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,2749.0.html older topic) but apparently the government prefers the note. Interestingly, if you look at the "Formats, materials and colours" PDF file (dated 10 March 2011), there is still this on page 3: "The coin series will consist of the denominations 1, 2, 5, 10 and 20 krona and the banknote series of the denominations 50, 100, 200, 500 and 1,000 krona." On all other pages they do refer to the 20 kr as a note. :)

Christian

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 01:40:01 PM »
Roll on the changes planned in Sweden, I say. I seem to accumulate vast quantities of 1-krona coins, which are neither use nor ornament, because there are no 2kr coins, but never seem to get 5 or 10kr coins, which are useful for getting trolleys in supermarkets and paying for toilets. Apparently next year they're going to reduce the size of the 1 and 5 and introduce a 2, leaving the 10 as it is. IMO they should also introduce a 20 (like Norway and Denmark both have) and get rid of the 20kr note, but they've apparently ruled this out. But I've heard nothing about the change since being here -- no publicity in supermarkets or anything.

Edit: I'd misremembered the material from Riksbanken that Christian posted -- it's not till 2014/5 that the new coins are coming. If they've made the decision to change, why does it take so long to implement? That's longer than the 1999-2002 lead time given for the euro, and that involved changing the entire accounting and pricing system of the countries involved.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:17:55 PM by FosseWay »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 01:38:54 AM »
Sweden unveils new 'themed' coin designs
11 Sep 12

The new designs for three Swedish coins, including the introduction of a 2-kronor coin, were unveiled by the Riksbank on Tuesday, with the coins set to hit circulation in 2016.

The General Council of the Riksbank decided that Ernst Nordin's design proposal "Sun, wind and water" would form the artistic basis for the production of the new coins.

"The proposal constitutes a highly cohesive coin series in which every coin is also distinctive. The design is of high artistic quality with a distinct graphical character,” wrote the Riksbank in a statement.

“The symbols on the coins are of an exemplary design. The theme 'Sun, wind and water' is an appropriate and apt theme that complements the main theme of the series 'Sweden's head of state'.”

The one-krona coin features the head of King Gustav XVI with what the Riksbank describes as a “stylized solar corona” on the reverse side.

The new two-kronor coin features the King and a “stylized whirlwind” and the five-kronor coin with the king and “stylized waves”.

Both the five and one kronor coins are lighter in weight than the current examples in circulation.

The two-kronor coin does not currently exist in Swedish currency, with the Riksbank not having released such a coin since 1971.

The aim of a re-introduction is to “allow transport and purchasing costs to be cut and the environmental impact of manufacture and handling to be reduced.”

Furthermore, the coin is planned to reduce the need for the one-krona and to make the typical Swedish wallet lighter.

The coins will be released into circulation on October 2016.

The unveiling of the new coin designs comes several months after the Riksbank introduced a new designs for new banknotes in April this year.

The new bills, which are scheduled to be issued in 2015, feature the likes of Greta Garbo, Ingmar Bergman, Astrid Lindgren, and other cultural giants of the 20th century.

Source: The Local/og
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 09:11:50 AM »
Thanks for posting that -- somehow I'd missed it.

But 2016?! It gets later and later! The first time I read about this upcoming change, 2013 was the estimated date. By then anything could have happened -- inflation might make the 1 and 2 kronor coins useless, the king might die or abdicate so they'll have to get a new design for Victoria...

The 'sol, vind och vatten' theme is very Swedish, though. But I seem to be missing something. The water is on the 5 kronor, the wind on the 2, but on the 1 there are just the three crowns and no sun.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
I guess the clock-like little stripes around the edge.

Sun, wind and water remind me of sailing on a good day. Close to the ancient Greek fire, air, water, with earth missing.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 04:35:18 AM »
I agree that the sun is there, it's just no noticeable, and kind of defeats the object of the thing on the coins in the first place. People don't look at coins much anyway, so they won't have a clue that there is a theme there anyway. They'll just think there was an error or something. Not impressed.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 01:38:39 PM »
Seems that Mint of Finland will be striking the new coins..

Link

Bank of Sweden has also published un-adopted designs for new coins:

Link

...And the new coins:

Link

Aditya
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:00:50 AM by Niels »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.