Author Topic: Design Contest: "10 Years of Euro Cash"  (Read 12795 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Design Contest: "10 Years of Euro Cash"
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 12:40:14 PM »
Frizio showed his entries in reply #12

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »
Here is another design that was not picked for the final. The idea of the "connected hands" is not new but OK as a symbol. What I don't like is the map; it sure makes some sense in the context of this issue but would be map number two on the final coin ...

Christian

Offline melitikus

• Reader
    • euroHOBBY
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »
nice to see my design here
a more detailed explanation here

The euro was not born in 2002 like a butterfly is not born as butterfly but as caterpillar - so the 1999-2002 is the caterpillar stage with limited freedom like the euro was (it was only a virtual currency) - in 2002 the euro did a huge change (metamorphosis) from just a virtual currency to a true currency with with euro coins and banknotes - this change is reflected by caterpillar being transformed into a a free flying butterfly

and this is the description that was submitted with the design as there was a limit on the number of words

Coin shows a butterfly with as its body. Butterflies in their life cycle change from limited caterpillar to free flying butterfly. In 1999, the was introduced as virtual limited currency but in 2002 it did a metamorphosis, euro banknotes & coins were introduced which gave Europeans more freedom.

Now where should we present and discuss the designs that did not make it into the "Final Five" round? I came across the first one today but think that some more will sooner or later show up. So maybe we can deal with the finalists in the Euro Coins topic, this could be used for the other designs.

Here is one, from the MyEuroHobby website, that was not picked for the public vote. What I find particularly interesting is that it uses the "butterfly" idea too. The explanation sounds somewhat plausible - just as a butterfly is a caterpillar first, the euro was a "non-cash" currency in the three initial years. Well, it would make sense to somehow show the metamorphosis. But let's just assume that the euro symbol consists of three caterpillars. ;)

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »
Welcome to World of Coins, Melitikus. You have joined what may be the most diverse coin group on the net. Our members come from all parts of the world, our coins come from everywhere and all times and that's just the beginning. Tokens, medals, decorations, books, paper money, museums, markets and more are being discusse vigorously here. You are very welcome to participate everywhere.

Coin design is another strong point of the site. I am happy you participated in the contest. As you see from this thread, we believe participating is more important than winning. So why not show us more products of your talent?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline melitikus

• Reader
    • euroHOBBY
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 10:25:07 PM »
Welcome to World of Coins, Melitikus. You have joined what may be the most diverse coin group on the net. Our members come from all parts of the world, our coins come from everywhere and all times and that's just the beginning. Tokens, medals, decorations, books, paper money, museums, markets and more are being discusse vigorously here. You are very welcome to participate everywhere.

Coin design is another strong point of the site. I am happy you participated in the contest. As you see from this thread, we believe participating is more important than winning. So why not show us more products of your talent?

Peter

thanks for your warm welcome
you can see some more of my designs here

http://myeurohobby.eu/photo/republic-1974-malta-eur2-2015?context=user
http://myeurohobby.eu/photo/indmt-1?context=user

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 01:10:36 PM »
Welcome to the World of Coins, melitikus! And yes, as I wrote here and elsewhere, I had not quite understood the significance before, so your design along with the explanation (why the butterfly would be a good symbol) made sense to me. :) Well, we now have a contest winner (see here), and I like that design too. Whether Andexlinger's piece will be too detailed ... we will see in January.

Christian