News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

R&W 6

Started by Figleaf, November 17, 2007, 12:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

My best guess is that this is a British amusement machine token, since I have a bronze piece with a similar decoration at the rim that has been determined as a British amusement machine token, but I'd like to know What R&W stands for. I presume it's a British brand name or the name of a company that made the machines and the tokens.

The piece is 2,7 grams, 19.0 mm.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Try "Ruffler and Walker". ;)

Christian

Figleaf

Yezz! Thank you, Christian. I googled the name and found the same logo on an identified token. It's British, around 1940.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

Acquired the token linked to above, but in copper-nickel(?) I wonder if the copper variant started life as a copper-nickel clad piece...

9. gr., 30.2 mm.

Peter

africancoins

Your "1" is likely a bit older than your "6" and the "6" is perhaps 1950s/1960s.

The British Macine Tokens book I have refers to the material your "1" and many other silver coloured types (including many other issuers) as "silvered-brass"....  and of course is not not actual silver. Likely it is Nickel-plated-Brass.

However - your "1" is not listed in the book. But it seems that the Brass version of the "1" type you have is in the book (to be sure I would need a few measurements from design elements.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Figleaf

Please tell me which measurements you need, Paul.

BTW, the coper piece is not mine.

Peter

africancoins

The "1" either being 7 or 7.5mm or something else....

and

The "&" either being 4.5 or 6mm or something else....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Figleaf

The "1" is 7 mm.; the "&" 4.5 mm.

Peter

africancoins

In that case - the type as per your piece, only in Brass (not "silvered-Brass") is a piece listed in the book, amongst those listed for issuer "Ruffler & Walker".

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Prosit

Here are a couple others.
Dale

Figleaf

May I assume that this is also a Ruffler & Walker token? See edge decoration on first token in this thread.

Peter

africancoins

That is not believed to be to do with Ruffler & Walker.

I have a piece similar to the piece you show - only the "2" on my piece is slightly different.

There are also "1" and "4" (and other pieces) and some have the number on both sides.... others have a dot or star or a stamped letter or two on the back etc...

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Figleaf

Thanks, Paul.

Peter

malj1

The British Machine Tokens book mentioned by Paul was issued 1986; it was followed by five supplements, I believe the last was No.5 in Apr 1988 after this they appeared spasmodically in the TCS Bulletin for some years. Here is the relevant information on R&W from that supplement 5.  [OCR scan]

328.26(Ruffler & Walker)  As 328.21  Rev.  As 328.21
Brass/28ram.(R)
Note. This appears to be the same die used on a smaller disc, the letters "being close to the appearance of a rim.
328.27   VALUE IN KIND ONLY twice   curved with two dot
spacers around a rectangle with petal spray
above & below/plain rim. Rev.  Same.
Brass/24.5mm. ( R)
328.28   As 328.1:6 Rev. As 328.16 but hand engraved
Nork within wreath.   Silvered Brass/23mm.
Note.  See 394.15 & 16
328.29   As 328. Rev.  As 328.  with MILLER machine
engraved in  rectangle.   Brass/21mm.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

That also clears up that there's brass and nickeled brass. I am impressed that there are apparently at least 29 variants.

Peter