Author Topic: New Zealand All Blacks Silver Dollar  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
New Zealand All Blacks Silver Dollar
« on: February 15, 2011, 04:54:21 PM »
At Indipex, New Delhi, India, the New Zealand Post counter was also there. One of the attractions at the New Zealand Post counter was the Stamp and Coin set issued on the Rugby Team "All Blacks".

The All Black Silver Dollar issued really looks nice, with the reverse showing the FERN in an all black background.

The 1 oz silver proof coin has been struck in 0.999 pure silver with a black reverse face. The coin is unmistakably All Blacks, and the black background is given even more impact with the fern design rendered in low-relief and clearly visible when viewed from different angles. Shining through in the centre of the coin is the ‘one dollar’ denomination and the official All Blacks logo shown in the strength of pure silver.

The ‘2011 All Blacks Coin: the silver fern’ has been presented in true All Blacks style. The coin sits in a striking black acrylic presentation panel which features the values of the team recurring in a stylised print. The innovative panel design provides a stunning standalone display option, or alternatively, the coin and acrylic panel look distinctly ‘All Blacks’ when presented inside their classic black leatherette case.

Abhay

INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
Re: New Zealand All Blacks Silver Dollar
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 05:15:57 PM »
It reminds me  that Black is bold & beautiful.

Both coin and stamps are elegant.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

translateltd

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 09:51:38 PM »
I'm afraid it reminds me vaguely of the control knob on an old black-and-white television set, or maybe the lid off a jam jar. 

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:51:04 AM »
These pseudo-coin issues turn really weird if there is no visible hint for foreigners to the meaning or issuing cause.

All Blacks as title and a branch reverse may remind to discriminated minorities living in swamplands - Uncle Tom's Cabin in Nieuw-Zeeland?

;)

Austrokiwi

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »
These pseudo-coin issues turn really weird if there is no visible hint for foreigners to the meaning or issuing cause.

All Blacks as title and a branch reverse may remind to discriminated minorities living in swamplands - Uncle Tom's Cabin in Nieuw-Zeeland?

;)

LOL   I think most NZers would be astounded to have anyone offended by the title......... Perhaps its an Urban myth ( I am sure my fellow Kiwis can confirm or deny it) about how the name originated;  but if any one is going to be offended it would be those suffering dyslexia.  The story goes that in early 20th century  New Zealands national rugby team was touring the UK. At that time due to the size and style of the NZ players they were known as the ALL Backs ( referring to a position in the game)  one village decided to celebrate the arrival of the colonial team with a banner across the main street......... unfortunately the sign writer  ( probably a soccer fan)  didn't quite get the name right and added an "L".  The name stuck.   I hope its not an Urban myth ...... because its a very good tale!!!

A quick Google search Shows the story is in principle right except it wasn't a street banner it was our always infallible media that got it wrong. But alas read on in the article and one finds that the name simple referred to the colour of the clothing worn and probably dates to the 19th century.

http://www.rugbymuseum.co.nz/asp/container_pages/normal_menu/rmArticle.asp?IDID=138
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:28:57 AM by Austrokiwi »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »
Since my son is an ardent all blacks fan, I can't pretend I don't know what it stands for, but I must admit the first thought that popped in my head was: they're not all black. I was thinking of the old Cambodian (maybe other countries also?) tradition of painting women's teeth black as a thing of beauty. New Zealand dentists probably wouldn't agree. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.