Author Topic: Investigating which coins in my collection are legal tender  (Read 9065 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: 1971: Double-florin declared legal tender as TWENTY PENCE
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 12:25:58 AM »
Two pre-decimal coins were demonetised in the run-up to D-Day. The halfpenny was demonetised on 1st August 1969, whilst the half-crown was demonetised on 1st January 1970.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
Re: 1971: Double-florin declared legal tender as TWENTY PENCE
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 01:32:40 AM »
You will find information about the change to decimal coinage in £p - Decimalisation in the UK - "D-Day" where the subject is covered in detail.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
1887 4/- “Double-Florin”
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »

The double-florin having been mentioned, here are some details.   I will merge the topics to give a complete picture of events leading up to this post, so if it appears a little disjointed, this is the reason.

First, it is necessary to note that the florin (2-shillings or 1-tenth of a pound) was introduced in 1849 as a start on possible decimalisation, and the first bulk mintage was in 1852.   Also, it must be remembered that the crown (5-shillings) had been in fairly regular use until then as had the half-crown (2/6d).    These were both replaced by the florin although they remained in use.   The crown remains out of the picture for a while but large quantities of half-crown were again introduced from 1874.   Taking into account the re-introduction of the half-crown, it is hard to see the need for the double-florin; it never became a popular coin and was only struck from 1887 until 1890 so all have the “Jubilee” obverse.   Please note that although “Patterns” are known for 1868 and 1950, there are a number of spurious pieces around which are not the genuine article.

Here then is my double-florin:-

Denomination      4/- (four shillings)      "Double-Florin"   
   Year      1887         
   Ruler      Queen Victoria      1837 - 1901   
   Made legal tender      13 May 1887      Royal Proclamation   
   This design used      1887 to 1890      only years for this denomination   
   Metal      Silver         
   Fineness      ∙925         
   Weight      Mine is 22.3 grams      "349.09090 grains"   
   Diameter      36 mm         
   Edge      Grained         
   Edge inscription      (None)         
   Obverse designer      Joseph Edgar Boehm      J E B on truncation   
   Reverse designer            (Unknown)   
   Mintage      483,347      minor variations, see below   
   KM Great Britain      # 763         
   KM value      Fine $12, VF $21, XF $50, UNC $125         
   Cost me      £17.76 (Arabic)   £12.51 (Roman)      
   Current status      Legal tender      £0.20   

There are two “types” for 1887, some having a Roman “I” and others an Arabic “1” in the year.   This is interesting as the Royal Proclamation states “ every such coin should have the same obverse and reverse impression and inscription in all respects as the Florin”, my florin has a Roman “I”, and all the double-florins for 1888 to 1890 have the Arabic “1” version.   I will cover the florin next so that a comparison can be made.   An additional scan of the “Roman” version is also given here and the table of information really relates to both versions together.

As has been said in a previous post, the double-florin was shown as “retained as 20 new pence” in the several Acts at about the time of decimalisation and remains “legal tender” to this day.   I have recently confirmed this with the Royal Mint.

My two coins of 1887 illustrated below are legal tender for 20-pence (£0.20) each.

Bill.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
Double-Florin
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »

Just a bit of additional information, the quantities of double-florin struck for circulation are:-

1887    483,347
1888    243,340
1889  1,185,111
1890    782,146

which I make a total of 2,693,944 coins, and proofs are known for 1887 (only) having both forms of date.

Bill.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
1887 2/- "Florin" (Jubilee head version)
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »

To follow on from the double-florin, we come to the florin itself.   The florin was an addition to the range of “standard” coins created in the recoinage of 1816 and was an attempt around 1850 to start the process of decimalisation of the pound (£).   An early florin appears as my avatar on the left, showing “One florin” and “One tenth of a pound” on the reverse.

The coin described and illustrated is another of the 1887 “Jubilee head” series.   As usual, the details are given in tabular form:-

Denomination      2/- (two shillings)      "Florin"   
   Year      1887      "Jubilee head" variety   
   Ruler      Queen Victoria      1837 - 1901   
   Made legal tender      13 May 1887      Royal Proclamation   
   This design used      1887 to 1892         
   Metal      Silver         
   Fineness      ∙925         
   Weight      11.31 g      "349.09090 grains"   
   Diameter      28.50 mm         
   Edge      Grained         
   Edge inscription      (None)         
   Obverse designer      Joseph Edgar Boehm      J E B on truncation   
   Reverse designer      (Unknown)      (Unknown)   
   Mintage      Part of 1,776,903      includes 1887 "Gothic" type   
   KM GB      # 762         
   KM value      F $6, VF $10, XF $30, UNC $80         
   Cost me      £13.49         
   Current status      Demonetised 01 Jul 1993      Unable to find Gazette entry   

Despite making many searches in the London Gazette, I have been unable to locate the Royal Proclamation which demonetised the florin, but the last day was 30 Jun 1993.   This date is also notable as being the last day for the large-size ten-pence (decimal) coin which was the direct descendant of the florin.

The verdict must be that my coin is no longer legal tender.

Bill.