Author Topic: Comments on "The British Royal Family in portraits"  (Read 1810 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Comments on "The British Royal Family in portraits"
« on: June 04, 2012, 03:03:59 PM »
Though I am British, I would not describe myself as a royalist. I do find it interesting to look at the numismatic portraits of the Royal Family, so I thought I would review some past portraits. Some of them are superb; some of them are truly awful. To view the parent topic, click on the link below:

The British Royal Family in portraits

I am keeping the parent topic locked, so as to get a straight run-through of the portraits., so please add any comments on the topic in this thread.

I have given the names of the designers of the portraits, where I know them. If anyone can fill in the gaps, please do. If you think I have left out any significant portraits, please let me know. I haven't included the standard circulation portraits of the Queen, as I am interested in commemorative portraits only here.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Comments on "The British Royal Family in portraits"
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 05:19:27 PM »
Some of them are superb; some of them are truly awful.

Having once been in the audience of prince Charles (don't ask) and sitting pretty close to him, I think I am entitled to say that none of the portraits you show look like him. Other portraits have similar problems, of course, but maybe if the same portrait is on all the coins all the time, you stop noticing...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 05:43:57 PM »
Having seen Prince Charles only on TV and in photos, I can only say that most (but not all) of the portraits of him do look lifelike and immediately recognisable to me. It's all in the eye of the beholder, of course. He has hada bald spot since he was a relatively young man, and some think his ears rather large or protruding, but I suppose the artists will attempt to hide these features.

I find there is quite a gap in the availability of quality numismatic portraits from about 1987 to 1997. On the whole, I am avoiding those of the Queen Mother, as she belongs more to a bygone age.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 09:53:54 PM »
I suspect that other countries or territories issued coins for the 2011 royal wedding, but I don't know which, so I can't search for them.

Here are two curiosities, a photo of the supposed Australian 2011 special coin before the event, and a sketch of the supposed Guernsey coin before the event.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 04:41:56 PM »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 04:50:52 PM »

In 1984, Ascension Island and St Helena each issued a commemorative 50 pence coin for Prince Andrew's visit.

The Falkland Islands did likewise. Can you spot the difference between these two portraits and explain its significance? The designs were by Robert Elderton.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:26:36 AM by <k> »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 03:19:06 PM »
Well, everybody who didn't answer is banned.  >:(

The answer is: the ribbon. What his military ribbon means, I don't know. I gather he was in the Navy.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 04:46:29 PM »
By 1985 he was allowed to wear 2 ribbons namely the one that came with the Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal (received in 1977) and the one that came with the South Atlantic Medal (awarded in 1982). The latter he received for his active duty in the Falklands War. As he did not only serve in the Falklands War but was also in the combat zone, the ribbon he was awarded with the South Atlantic Medal came with a rosette on it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 12:16:32 PM by eurocoin »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 04:53:09 PM »
Thank you, eurocoin.  8)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 11:06:52 PM »
Hadn't seen the difference before you pointed it out. In view of the size of the ribbon, it is likely for a combination of medals, so the answer would be "all of the above".

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 11:29:24 PM »
OK, I'll un-ban you.  :D