Author Topic: Ethiopian fake I'd like to find  (Read 1114 times)

Austrokiwi

Ethiopian fake I'd like to find
« on: March 04, 2011, 07:53:34 AM »
I have been playing with a new toy: A kindle.   {I do recommend an ebook reader if you are doing research:  many old references can be found, free of charge, on the web in places like the Gutenburg project and the internet archive}   I discovered my kindle had a clipping option ( of course many of you will know that already)   and I couldn't resist taking this clipping:

The Highlands of Ethiopia (William Cornwallis Harris) 1844
- Highlight Loc. 8026-31  | Added on Friday, March 04, 2011, 07:37 AM

This convict was accompanied in his exile by a shrewd lad, who had been detected at the Bool Worki market in giving circulation to two counterfeit dollars. Weeks of incessant toil had enabled him to produce out of a lump of pewter, very creditable imitations of the coinage of Maria Theresa. Every spot and letter had been most closely represented with a punch and file; and the ingenious artist, naturally enough, seemed vastly mortified at the untoward consequences of his labour. “Tell me,” inquired the king, as the culprit was being removed, “how is that machine made which in your country pours out the silver crowns like a shower of rain?”

I would love to have an example of that hand "engraved" MTT.    I guess the coins made have probably long gone. The effort and time to produce  fake MTT with a punch and file must have been great. That effort certainly suggests how much the coins were worth  to the average Ethiopian at that time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:57:26 PM by Afrasi »

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
Re: Ethiopian fake I'd like to find
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 01:32:15 PM »
Yes, that fake I would put in my collection, too.

I hope it is not meant the following piece ...  ;D