Author Topic: Fiji to Get New Coins and Banknotes  (Read 14893 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Fiji to Get New Coins and Banknotes
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »
New Fijian coin last to carry Queen’s effigy

Monday, 10 December, 2012 - 14:31

New Zealand Mint has released a new gold bullion coin that is the final Fijian coin to carry the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II.

From next year the country is replacing the Queen with a Fijian coat-of-arms on all currency. Fiji was suspended from the Commonwealth in 2009.

"This is an investment gold coin but it has collector intrigue value to it too in the fact that it is the last coin by Fiji to bear the QEII effigy," says NZ Mint chief executive Simon Harding.

The pure gold, 1oz investment coin is valued at $2,206.00 on today’s gold pricing and is produced by NZ Mint under licence from the Fijian government.

Harding says the new coin has particular appeal to international investors because it bears an official government effigy.

The new Fijian coin features a Taku or Hawksbill turtle which is an endangered species. NZ Mint also produces an investment 1oz silver coin featuring the Taku as well as a 1oz. gold Kiwi bullion medallion.

Source: http://www.voxy.co.nz/business/new-fijian-coin-last-carry-queen%E2%80%99s-effigy/5/143030

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Fiji to Get New Coins and Banknotes
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »
Here's CoA of Fiji by the way..

Fiji National Coat of Arms consists of the images of two Fijian warriors on either side of a shield and the motto “Rerevaka na Kalou ka Doka na Tui” below the shield. These words mean “Fear God and Honor the queen” The shield from the coat of arms has the image of a heraldic lion holding a cocoa pod across the top, sugarcane, a coconut palm and bunch of bananas are represented in three of the shields sections. The fourth contains the reproduction of a dove of peace, the main feature of the Cakobau Government’s flag before cession. (Source)

Aditya
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:11:44 AM by Niels »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 05:15:26 PM »
If they're getting rid of the Queen's effigy, they really should get rid of that crowned English lion on their coat of arms, and also get rid of the Union Flag from the Fijian flag, while they're at it.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »
If they're getting rid of the Queen's effigy, they really should get rid of that crowned English lion on their coat of arms, and also get rid of the Union Flag from the Fijian flag, while they're at it.

They will have to change the motto too. ;D ;D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 11:47:39 PM »
I've just watched the release video. Here are the obverse themes of the new coins:

5c   Bicolor foxface rabbitfish.
10c Fiji Flying fox (bat).
20c Kadavu (crimson) shining parrot
50c Humphead wrasse (fish)
$1   Banded iguana
$2   Peregrine falcon ("The Islander", a subspecies found only in Fiji).

These names are all given in the local language on the coins. Interestingly, the reverse designs of the coins stay AS THEY WERE. Since the 2 dollar coin is new, the tanoa from the old 1 cent coin has been used on the reverse of this design.

The report in a prior post that the Fijian coat of arms would be used is therefore false.

To watch the video stream, click on the link and fast forward to around 56 minutes in to avoid the opening speeches and just watch the video about the banknote and coin designs:

http://itv.connect.com.fj/

N.B. No designer was mentioned, though the designs are the work of the Royal Canadian Mint.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 01:25:32 AM »

Here is the 1 cent coin with the tanoa - compare it to the new 2 dollar design below. You can see it has been given a bit of a makeover.

Otherwise, so many wildlife designs have been produced now, that it is hard to find a really different look, and the Royal Canadian Mint hasn't really managed it. Their parrot looks a bit like the one on the recent Colombian circulation coins. The design committee has however largely succeeded in portraying species not seen on other standard circulation coins: the banded iguana, for instance. Nice to see the bat being portrayed upside down, and that design does look different in approach from any other bat design I have seen on a collector coin. The two fish, though not handsome, are species you will not find on any other circulation coin. So, I give the RCM 7.5 out of 10 for their work - very competent and worthwhile, though not outstanding.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:07:08 PM by <k> »

translateltd

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 05:28:02 AM »
They will have to change the motto too. ;D ;D

Aditya

I think Tui can be more generic than just "King/Queen" - I've understand it can be used in the sense of "Chief", so it may survive ...

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 07:20:25 AM »
Dated 2012 but will be released January 2013

I too have downloaded from that video and edited in Microsoft Publisher.

It is too hot outside today!

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 07:21:58 AM »
And the other six images....
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 07:33:10 AM »
Excellent job, Malcolm! :)

Aditya

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »
Superbly done, Malcolm. I have deleted my captures and saved yours. You can see that the RCM has also altered each reverse slightly by adding the Fijian name of the object depicted.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »

The two fish designs look too similar to one another. One of them could have faced in the opposite direction, to give a bit of variation. Otherwise a competent set. My favourite is the bat, followed by the iguana.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »
Though the themes are different, I regard these new Fiji designs as superior to those of Samoa's recent new series. The Samoan coins were in rather low relief, too. They were products of the Royal Australian Mint. Let's see how these Fijian coins turn out - they are minted by the Canadians.

Tonga has said it will produce a new design series this year. Their existing designs have a certain charm, but they are certainly in need of an update. That really only leaves Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu to update their designs now. In PNG's case there is no need - they are fine designs and still look relevant. Vanuatu's rather unsophisticated designs could do with a makeover, though.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 03:59:24 PM »
The Saqamoli design I have liked before (old set), and I still like it. :) My second favorite would be the 10c - the Beka Mirimiri (Flying Fox) side looks good. As for the fish being similar, yes, some variation would have been nice, but I suppose the compositions will be different anyway. So from a purely practical POV that should not be an issue ...

Christian

Offline malawi

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 11:51:32 PM »
very nice coins !!!!   :o