Author Topic: Fiji to Get New Coins and Banknotes  (Read 14895 times)

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Fiji to Get New Coins and Banknotes
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »
Different flag planned for Fiji in identity push

From The Dominion Post, New Zealand

Fiji is planning to change its flag and scrap the Union Jack and probably the bananas on it.

This follows removing Queen Elizabeth from its currency.

The republic's military ruler, Voreqe Bainimarama, has given no details of the new flag, but in a speech to the nation he says he wants to instil more pride in the Fijian identity.

"We will soon begin using new notes and coins that feature our flora and fauna," he said, adding they would also come up with a new constitution, their fourth since 1970. "And I will be making further announcements about revamping our flag."

Fiji's flag is little changed from the colonial era, with the Union Jack and a modified coat-of-arms. It also features a lion holding a cocoa pod.

In 1987 Fiji strongman Sitiveni Rabuka proclaimed Fiji to be a republic after its ejection from the Commonwealth for its first military coup. But the Union Jack remained on the flag, and successive leaders have expressed yearnings to return to the royals.

However, Bainimarama, who until recently had a picture of the Queen on his office wall, appears to be burying that.

If Fiji dumps the Union Jack flag, it will leave Australia and New Zealand in a shrinking group which includes the Cook Islands, Tuvalu and Hawaii.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Fiji to Get New Coins and Banknotes
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2013, 07:30:11 AM »
New 2 dollar coin to be ready by mid 2014

13:38

New two dollar coins are likely to enter the market by mid next year.

Reserve Bank of Fiji governor Barry Whiteside says this will remove the confusion between the one dollar coins and the current two dollar coins.

Whiteside says they are working closely with their coin suppliers, Royal Canadian Mint, towards the redesign and production of the new coins.

There were wide spread complaints about the tarnishing of the two dollar coins and the difficulty in differentiating it from the one dollar coins.

Whiteside says the changes involve a relook at the metal specifics to reduce tarnishing as well as a slight change in size to enable easy differentiation.

Source: FBC
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline malawi

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 10:50:55 AM »
New 2 dollar coin to be ready by mid 2014

13:38

New two dollar coins are likely to enter the market by mid next year.

Reserve Bank of Fiji governor Barry Whiteside says this will remove the confusion between the one dollar coins and the current two dollar coins.

Whiteside says they are working closely with their coin suppliers, Royal Canadian Mint, towards the redesign and production of the new coins.

There were wide spread complaints about the tarnishing of the two dollar coins and the difficulty in differentiating it from the one dollar coins.

Whiteside says the changes involve a relook at the metal specifics to reduce tarnishing as well as a slight change in size to enable easy differentiation.

Source: FBC

thanks Bimat !
two observations:
- the current two-dollar coin become rare in the future?
- why not minted bimetallic two dollars ?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 06:08:34 PM »
the current two-dollar coin become rare in the future?

I think you mean current two dollar banknote? The two dollar banknote is now replaced by two dollar coin but I doubt if the banknote will become rare anytime soon.

why not minted bimetallic two dollars ?

Probably because none of the Oceania countries (Australia, New Zealand, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea) have circulating bimetallic coins, so they wanted to have it consistent with others.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2013, 07:27:44 PM »
I hope for a bimetallic $2 coin too  ;D
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

Offline Enlil

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 11:16:31 PM »
I think you mean current two dollar banknote? The two dollar banknote is now replaced by two dollar coin but I doubt if the banknote will become rare anytime soon.

Probably because none of the Oceania countries (Australia, New Zealand, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea) have circulating bimetallic coins, so they wanted to have it consistent with others.

Aditya

No I believe he is talking about the current $2 coin, and considering the inconsistencies in current pacific coinage the central banks are free to mint bi-metallics but they are more expensive than single metal coins I presume. So to save costs it is better not to have bi-metal coins. But Australia are cheap scabs when it come to coins, hence our annoying $2 coin.

Offline malawi

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 11:29:49 PM »
No I believe he is talking about the current $2 coin, and considering the inconsistencies in current pacific coinage the central banks are free to mint bi-metallics but they are more expensive than single metal coins I presume. So to save costs it is better not to have bi-metal coins. But Australia are cheap scabs when it come to coins, hence our annoying $2 coin.

Yes , i  talking about the current $2 coin
Sorry my english is not good  :(

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 08:13:40 AM »
It seems that technical specifications of $2 coins have been changed.

New $2 coins to circulate from August

Publish date/time: 12/05/2014 [16:59]

A new series of $2 coins will be circulated from August this year.

Reserve Bank of Fiji Governor Barry Whiteside said this follows members of the public raising concerns on them not being able to tell the difference between the $1 and $2 coins.

He said after discussions with the Royal Canadian Mint on how to address the concerns, the new $2 coin will now be a little larger, heavier and also have a slightly different colour.

He said the new $2 coin will be bronze plated compared to the previous brass plated ones.

He said hopefully with these new changes there will no longer be any more confusion between the $1 and $2 coins.

Whiteside said once the PM gives his approval they hope the new $2 coin will be in circulation around or shortly after August.

He said the cost of the new $2 coins will only be made public once they are in circulation.

He added the old ones will be withdrawn and sent back to the Royal Canadian Mint.

Source: Fiji Village

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 09:54:09 AM »
It's quite unusual for a copper colour to be used for a high denomination where silver and/or gold colours are used for lower denominations. It's presumably a hangover, but a very persistent one, from the days of actual copper, silver and gold coins, and there's absolutely no reason why countries shouldn't choose to reverse or mix the traditional order, but as said it happens very infrequently IME.

The only other example I can think of off the top of my head is the Czech Republic 10 korún.

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 12:48:18 PM »
This was the first 2 dollar circulation coin for Fiji. See how it compares with the dollar coin:

1 dollar:

Weight    5.05 g
Diameter    24.5 mm
Thickness 1.75 mm
Shape: Round
Inner rim: Octagonal
Metal: Brass-plated steel.

2 dollars:

Weight    6.1 g
Diameter    24.39 mm
Thickness 1.97 mm
Inner rim: 11-sided.

You can see that the coins are way too close in size. The Royal Mint (UK) follows guidelines that the "gap" (difference in diameter) between two similar coins (same colour and shape) should be a minimum of 3 mm. The Royal Canadian Mint has clearly been shown as incompetent, having produced an impractical solution that now has to be scrapped.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS ˇ UK
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 03:44:36 PM »
It's quite unusual for a copper colour to be used for a high denomination where silver and/or gold colours are used for lower denominations

The Canadian 1 dollar is bronze plated I think.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2014, 05:02:54 PM »
All my Canadian dollars (the circulation ones, not the old silver/nickel ones) are yellow-coloured. Have they changed this recently?

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS ˇ UK
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2014, 06:38:29 PM »
All my Canadian dollars (the circulation ones, not the old silver/nickel ones) are yellow-coloured. Have they changed this recently?

Providing Krause is correct then they have been bronze plated since 1987.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2014, 11:41:10 PM »
This was the first 2 dollar circulation coin for Fiji. See how it compares with the dollar coin:

1 dollar:

Weight    5.05 g
Diameter    24.5 mm
Thickness 1.75 mm
Inner rim: Octagonal

2 dollars:

Weight    6.1 g
Diameter    24.39 mm
Thickness 1.97 mm
Inner rim: 11-sided.

You mean 2 Dollar is smaller than 1 dollar?
Does not appear to be from the images.

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2014, 12:03:51 PM »
See numista - 1 dollar 1995-2000; 1 dollar 2009-10; and 1 dollar 2012:

Fiji - 1 dollar versions

Then the circulation 2 dollar coins of 2012:

Fii 2 dollars 2012

When I overlay your 1 dollar image over the 2 dollar image, the 2 dollar coin certainly looks larger.

From numista.com:

$1 1995-2000: 8g, 23 mm
$1 2009-10: 5g, 23mm
$1 2012-13: 5.05g, 24.5mm
$2 2012-13: 6.1g, 24.39mm

From Numismaster:

$1 1995-2000: 8g, 23mm

$1 2009-10: Not listed.

$1 2012-13: 5.05g, 23mm

$2 2012-13: 27.5mm (KM337) - weight not listed.

So it looks like numista.com is WRONG!

But then the size difference looks good enough. Are you able to measure them, Pabitra?