Author Topic: Andorra aims at issuing euro coins in 2014  (Read 44886 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Andorra aims at issuing euro coins in Jan-2014
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »
This is getting weird. :)  In a German forum (emuenzen.de) somebody posted a link to a French site where the "breaking news" from Monnaie Magazine has already been published.

According to that article, Andorra would issue a BU and a proof set only - thus no circulation coins. Problem is that this would be a violation of the monetary agreement which clearly states that at least 80 percent of the volume has to be issued at face.

Since I find it hard to believe that the Andorran govern plans to ignore this, there are two options left. Either the blog misunderstood the Monnaie Magazine article, or MM (which I have not seen) got things wrong.

The other part of the article - Andorra will issue its collector coins as diner pieces - I am fine with. Those collector coins are limited to the issuing country anyway ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2014, 12:23:12 AM »
Seems that the Monnaie Magazine article is somewhat misleading. The latest news is that the Andorran euro coins for circulation will come step by step. No big "launch day" - after all, they have been using the euro for more than a decade.

However, collectors will be "served" too. According to the Diari d'Andorra, 70,000 BU sets will be issued. (Source, but most of the text is behind a paywall). The paper refers to a comment made by the Andorran finance minister Jordi Cinca.

Christian

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2014, 05:06:31 PM »
I got a small update from a big Italian euro dealer saying
"the issue of 8 euro coins of Andorra has been postponed to end of May, because there are bureaucratic problems between Andorra and the BCE"

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »
Right, the "end of May" date is what I have read too. And in case anybody wonders about the delays, I don't think they are coin production related. ;) My guess is that this has something to do with the question of whether Andorra has fully implemented the legal framework mentioned in the Monetary Agreement.

But, aren't we all patient? Ommmmmmmmm ...

Christian

Offline Illioplius

« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2014, 11:56:06 AM »
So, Andorran euro coins will actually be issued (probably). That is great. I seriously thought they won't be issued after all.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2014, 07:44:05 PM »
Who knows. Seems that the Monnaie de Paris has not even started making its share:
http://3buneuro.canalblog.com/archives/2014/03/01/29333596.html#c61720928

Don't know what the Casa de la Moneda (FNMT Madrid) is doing or not doing ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »
Seems that the French mint got its job done. :) According to that same blog, the Andorran euro coins made in France are ready to be put into mixed rolls and shipped to Andorra ...

Christian

Offline Illioplius

« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2014, 08:53:53 PM »
Seems that the French mint got its job done. :) According to that same blog, the Andorran euro coins made in France are ready to be put into mixed rolls and shipped to Andorra ...

Christian
That sounds great! Finally. I hope there will be some photos soon.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:46:13 PM by Illioplius »

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2014, 10:43:04 PM »
Mixed rolls?

So they will be put in with what? New French euro coins?

Dale

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »
Yes; kwcoin mentioned that here. The idea is that the coins will actually be released for circulation this way. And I think the Spanish mint will do it similarly, for the same reason ...

Christian

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2014, 10:09:02 AM »
How much ado about nothing    ::)

More deformation of metal creating loss at collectors.

:'(

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2014, 10:51:21 AM »
How much ado about nothing    ::)

The proverbial man in the street, be it in Andorra or elsewhere in the euro area, does not care much either. But keep in mind that euro coin collectors tend to have a slightly different opinion ...

I am interested in two ways. First, what has kept Andorra from issuing them half a year ago? Maybe there was something in the legal framework, some condition that the country had not met yet ... The other reason is that, unlike the diners and cèntims, these coins will certainly not be produced for collectors only. Since 80 percent are made and issued for circulation, there is an excellent chance of coming across them in the wild. Now you may still say that metal should preferably be used for products other than coins. Well, for low amounts I prefer coins over "paper" and "plastic". ;)

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2014, 10:46:26 PM »
The obvious vested interest in the field of coins in Andorra is the Servei d' Emissions, the Andorran coin and stamp flogging "service". They would have been profoundly unhappy with being unable to sell the whole issue (even partly at face) and letting the French do the issuing, undermining "their" market. Another possibility is that the legal rights of the designers were not well arranged. All speculation, of course.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Andorra aims at issuing euro coins in Jan-2014
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
Any latest news regarding Andorran euro coins? ;D Every month, I see a new proposed issue date with dealers having pre-sales of Andorran euros...Latest date I have heard is September end. ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2014, 09:09:49 AM »
End of September and according to a good source 75.000 BU sets.
Many unconfirmed rumors that there won't be issued any coins in rolls but that's against the regulations of the EC so I don't think these are true.