Author Topic: Coin storage, Eagle Coin Holders  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
Coin storage, Eagle Coin Holders
« on: February 20, 2011, 04:54:30 PM »
Hello, All. Hope you are enjoying a nice weekend.

In my many years of collecting, I have been through the ringer (so to speak) on how to store my coins. I have started as a kid with the plastic drawers ysed for screws and nuts...standard 2x2 cardboard holders, to self-sealing holders, to the little "baggies with and without zip lock, to envelopes (which I didn't like at alll...no visability and toning was an issue on newer proofs)....then I went through the certification phase and my whole U.S.A. type set is in PCGS or NGC slabs...lost faith in the services and the many "games" played by the crack out artists and the Chinese making such great copies of coins and "slabs", together which have significantly damaged the industry forever, tried cointains which I liked but didn't have a good way to store and display them, did the capsuls which were great protection but again...no way to display them (I like notebooks)...then about 10 years ago I discovered Eagle holders (no, not for the U.S. Eagle dollars) and these I absolutely love. They are a bit pricy at about 75 cents each but they have snap in, high quality windows which stay clear and in place and the 2 sides of the holder push together firmly and I believe they are virtually air-tight. I have had no problems with toning on BU or Proofs, nor hazing on Proof silver pieces. These rigid plastic 2x2's are available in a variety of sizes  from U.S. cent , dime, nickel, quarter, half dollar, dollar and $20 gold piece, and the window thickness varies with the size of the opening. Best feature, they look great and slide into specialy made, very durable semi-rigid safe plastic pages which have the 3 holes for a binder. So, my entire music collection is in Eagle holders, as is much of my "no longer collected" collections of Peru, Yugoslavia, world crowns. (On a sidenote...about 5 years ago I tried to sell my world crown collection...90% of the pieces are silver coins)...about 60 pieces...for $250 0n E-Bay. Fortunately...no takers. With silver now at $32+ an ounce ..I would be kicking myself REALLY hard. I estimate about 35 ounces of silver in the notebook.)  If anyone would like to see the Eagle holders in action, let me know...and I'll post some pictures.

Oh oh...the jumping window is back...guess I'll end this post because I can't see what I'm typing. Enjoy the weekend. Alan, Massachusetts

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Re: Coin storage, Eagle Coin Holders
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 04:57:16 PM »
If anyone would like to see the Eagle holders in action, let me know...and I'll post some pictures.
Please do! :) I'm not sure if I have understood what you said properly ;D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 06:05:45 PM »
To each his own!  I bought about a hundred eagle holders once and used them for some months. Long story short, I didn't like them.  But I have an on-going love hate affair with coin holders, folders and albums.  I love to hate them.  To date, I have never tried a storage method that I like all that much, each has its drawbacks.  Oh, the eagle holders? I threw them in the trash but like I said, to each his own!  I particularly had problems with the large sizes.  The small ones were much better.

Dale

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 06:39:30 PM »
Ouch, Dale!!

In the trash???  That's a heartbreaker. I don't like spending 70-75 cents eaach, but I like the results very much. I sure wish I knew you before your appointment with the trash can!!!  No one ever sells these used on E-Bay either. I tried to sell,cointains, and those capsules with the foam circles in them...no one wants them either...but in the trash...NEVER!!!

Alan

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 07:26:07 PM »
Hello, Aditya.

I have attached pictures below that I hope will show how the eagle coin holders work. I really like them and I think they do a very good job displaying and protecting the coins in the special pages. If you would like, I would be very pleased to send you a free sample holder. I am NOT a seller or dealer in these holders.

Alan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 07:54:33 PM »
I thought about trying to sell them on ebay but it is such a pain sometime and for practically no reward.
I have thrown coins in the trash too that were extra worn, coroded, bent, mutilated or holed.  I bet that shocks many collectors  >:D

Since I built my own metal melting furnace, I no longer throw them in the trash but into scrap metal piles for recycling.

Dale

Ouch, Dale!!

In the trash???  That's a heartbreaker. I don't like spending 70-75 cents eaach, but I like the results very much. I sure wish I knew you before your appointment with the trash can!!!  No one ever sells these used on E-Bay either. I tried to sell,cointains, and those capsules with the foam circles in them...no one wants them either...but in the trash...NEVER!!!

Alan

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »
Don't feel too bad about the mangled, worn coins in the trash I have done the same thing on several occasions. Someday in a zillion years...some little kid will find them and they will be thrilled to death and hopefully, new members of the coin collecting fraternity.

Alan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:23:39 PM »
If you want to dispose of coins and please children of all ages, think of this idea.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 03:52:31 AM »
Thanks for photos, Alan! It looks like an interesting way to store your coins but 75 cents per holder is too high for me ;) Indian dealers will not keep them (only stapled variety of holders is available here and it's the most popular method of storing coins) and ordering them from US will cost another $20 (shipping, USPS is damn expensive! >:() or so to the price of holders..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 04:50:11 PM »
Aditya.

I have several extra white Eagel holders. It would be my pleasure to send them to you if you can use them. They are for smaller sized coins but I would be happy to share with you if you would like to have some. Please let me know. No charge of course and I'll pay the shipping. I love to share with fellow collectors.

Alan

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 03:45:22 AM »
Hi, Bill.

With my composer coins (I hope you all aren't too tired of hearing those words) many are loose, many are in capsules and many are part of sealed sets. The loose coins go in 2x2 holders (I use Eagle holders and the pages which I think are excellent but don't know if they are available in Britain). The coins in capsules I leave in the capsules and use 1 side of an Eagle 2x2, larger than the capsule, and they stay nicely in the page slots.

The sets create a different problem. The best solution I have come up with is to use those clear soft plastic "pages" (like what you might use to put a report into) that fit in a 3 ring binder. They are sealed on 3 sides already, I slip in the set and paper clip the 4th side of the "page" and include it in the 3 holed binder. Works pretty well as I can remove the sets from the pages to examine the coins. Viewing the coins in capsules and 2x2 holders is no problem in the plastic pages that hold 20 coins. 

Any other ideas out there?

Alan

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 08:49:34 AM »

Yes - let's try and keep grading and storage apart. ;) Will reply here:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,8821.0.html

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 09:01:57 AM »
From a different topic, thus a full quote ...

Hi, Bill.

With my composer coins (I hope you all aren't too tired of hearing those words) many are loose, many are in capsules and many are part of sealed sets. The loose coins go in 2x2 holders (I use Eagle holders and the pages which I think are excellent but don't know if they are available in Britain). The coins in capsules I leave in the capsules and use 1 side of an Eagle 2x2, larger than the capsule, and they stay nicely in the page slots.

The sets create a different problem. The best solution I have come up with is to use those clear soft plastic "pages" (like what you might use to put a report into) that fit in a 3 ring binder. They are sealed on 3 sides already, I slip in the set and paper clip the 4th side of the "page" and include it in the 3 holed binder. Works pretty well as I can remove the sets from the pages to examine the coins. Viewing the coins in capsules and 2x2 holders is no problem in the plastic pages that hold 20 coins. 

Alan

Oh those holes again ... Over here we usually have four. ;D

At least here in Germany we punch our (A4 sized) office paper making two holes, and the binders have two as well. Now holders for pre-punched pages, be it paper sheets or those plastic "sleeves" that are open at the top only, will usually have four. And as far as I can tell, the latter also applies to plastic "pages" in most coin albums. Apart from that, I do pretty much what you do:

Some coins (typically low value pieces from, err, peripheral collecting areas) are in album pages just like that, "raw". Others are in 5x5 aka 2x2 cardboard holders, proof pieces stay in their capsules. My albums can hold all three types more or less nicely.

For sets I have a few "special" album pages - same size (about 20x22 cm) as the ones for coins, but each page is designed to hold two sets. Most sets will fit in there; unfortunately not all of them. In such cases I make a photocopy of the set, put that in or between the pages, and store the darn set elsewhere. :)

Christian

Offline tonyclayton

• Coins of the UK
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »
For my better coins I have a mahogany coin cabinet, with details of the coin on an acid-free circular card.

The trays can be removed for showing to visitors.

For run-of-the-mill coins I uses 2"x2" acid-free envelopes in storage boxes.

For rubbish I use an old bank coin bag!!