Author Topic: Schön  (Read 5546 times)

Offline alglasser

• Meritorious Member
Schön
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:27:26 PM »
Hello, chrislid

Interesting site with the different mints. didn't find anything I need, but I enjoy looking at the coins...or "quasi-coins".

Regarding "Schon" catalog, I wonder if I should hunt for a copy. Would you know what the latest edition is, and are there several volumes as with the "Standard Catalog"?

Many thanks.  Alan

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Schön
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:23:19 PM »
The Schön is in German. ;) Gerhard Schön is the author of several coin catalogs, and one of them is the "Weltmünzkatalog". It covers the 20th and 21st centuries; usually there is a new edition every year (current one is 39 ed 2011). Both the Schön and the Krause/SCWC have their pros and cons, and neither is ultra-cheap, so I tend to buy them alternately ...

Christian

Offline alglasser

• Meritorious Member
Schön
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:05:50 PM »
Thank you, Christian. I might hunt for a copy online. It sounds like something I would enjoy looking over. Also, I have occasionally run into coin sites overseas that refer to other catalog numbers than the "Standard Catalogs". Perhaps a copy of the book would be helpful here as well.

Many thanks. Alan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Schön
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »
I think Schön is quite useful to thematic collectors, because of the time and care spent on the description of the major design elements. Yes, it's in German. No problem. Search the key words in the German version of Wikipedia and click on "English" in the sidebar. Anyway, it's fun picking up a few words from another language.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Schön
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:41:59 PM »
Alan,

Gerhard Schön is also a member of this forum. You may drop him a message to get a copy of the catalog.  :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Schön
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »
Just read in the latest issue of MünzenRevue that Günter Schön died on 23 January. Gerhard Schön's father, born in 1935, was the editor of "Michel" philatelic catalogs, and in his spare time worked on a coin catalog (Weltmünzkatalog, 20th century) which was first issued in 1969. Günter Schön wrote other coin catalogs too, even one about copper coins from the Holy Roman Empire. While I am sorry to hear about the loss, it is good to know that his son Gerhard shares that interest in working on coin catalogs, and that the two had and used the opportunity to work together for many years.

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
Yes, that is sad news. Herr Günter Schön has left a fine legacy with his catalogue, though. It is the one I always look to when I want to find the precise details about the theme of a coin's design.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 08:17:11 PM »
Very sorry to hear that. Schön père leaves a very useful idea. Two world coin catalogues are better than one, as the cross fertilization offers benefits to both. I am thankful to Günther Schön for what he has done for the collecting world. I hope Gerhard finds comfort in the sincere appreciation of serious collectors worldwide.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 08:35:45 AM »
I will add my commiserations and also my appreciation of Günter Schön's legacy.  The first world coin catalogue that I actually owned was an English edition of the 1975 "Schön" (don't know if any later editions were ever translated) but I still have that one on my shelf along with more recent German editions.  As coffeetime notes, a great source of detailed info on coin designs, down even to the Latin names of the plant and animal life depicted, some of which managed to take hold in my memory in earlier years at least.

Some space is saved in the Schön editions by not trying to list every single year of every type, simply noting instead a "generic" price for the coins of a given type within the range of dates when that type was produced, and highlighting any particularly scarce years or others that deviate from the norm.  The result is a book that is still quite heavy but overall a smaller format than the comparable SCWC volumes.

Offline Andrey5

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »
Collecting African coins and tokens, selling more than 4500 world coins from www.avscoins.com

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »
News regarding the "Schön" catalogs. So far Gerhard Schön has been the author of Battenberg-Gietl's World Coin Catalog (Weltmünzkatalog) of coins from the 20th and 21st centuries. The publishing house recently made the decision to split this beast ;) into two - basically what Krause has already done.

The dividing line will obviously be the year 2000; coins issued until then should be in Gerhard Schön's "Weltmünzkatalog 20. Jahrhundert". More recent issues, however, can soon be found in the "21. Jahrhundert" volume. Special cases, such as the euro coins dated 1999 or 2000 but issued later, will be in the "21st" book as well. This new catalog should come in October 2014; the author/editor is Sebastian Krämer.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 12:22:23 AM »
The new "Schön 20th century" catalog (43th ed.) will be available as from late October. The 21st century catalog (the Krämer/Schön so to say) will also come later this year. The two catalogs will overlap to some extent, as explained in the previous post.

What I also found interesting is the question of using images of coins for such catalogs. Sebastian Krämer wanted to use one of the 20 kroner ship coins from Denmark for the cover page. But according to what he wrote in a German forum, the Danish central bank/mint was against the idea. So it will be Britannia instead ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 03:59:10 PM »
Gerhard Schön just published his latest euro coin catalog: the "Euro-Münzkatalog", 16th edition 2017. Even though the euro is less than 20 years old, this book already has 1500 pages, thanks ::) to all those collector coins. The catalog (in German, with grayscale images) will cost €19.90 - date of issue is 24 March 2017.

The 2017 issues of the "Welt-Münzkatalog" (World Coin Catalogue 1900-, German) are already available. Each volume costs €59.90 ...
• Gerhard Schön: Welt-Münzkatalog 20. Jh. / 20th century
(45th ed. 2017, about 2200 pages)
• Gerhard Schön/Sebastian Krämer: Welt-Münzkatalog 21. Jh. / 21st century
(3rd ed. 2017, about 1500 pages)

Note that the 20c volume includes the 21c circulation coins (except euro pieces) as well. So depending on what you collect, you may not "need" both books. :)

Christian

Offline Globetrotter

• Honorary Member
  • As my whimsy takes me....
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 04:15:41 PM »
Schon alles richtig,

the Schöen catalog also includes the KM#, since there is a certain synergy between Schön and Krause (dixit George Cuhaj)!

You might not have noticed, that the catalog is ONLY in book form, probably to avoid to being pirated! The dvd from Krause are wildly copied, which is a big loss for the editor!

Ole
Ole

If you're interested in coin variants please find some English documentation here:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
and in French on Michel's site (the presentations are not the same):
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 07:13:17 PM »
Yep, makes sense to publish those books as "paper only" catalogs. At least as long as it is fairly easy to make usable unauthorized copies ...

The publishing house has been "experimenting" with electronic formats, and a while they had an online version of another catalog (Jaeger, German coins 1871-today). But that was stopped, quite possibly for the same reason. Their magazines (MünzenRevue, Münzen & Sammeln) can be had as ePaper issues though.

Christian