Author Topic: How To Store Rolls?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
How To Store Rolls?
« on: February 10, 2011, 03:48:49 PM »
Well, I do not collect rolls and don't have a single roll either (but I DO intend to collect them this year!), but the discussion might be useful for those who collect them. Rolls are quite bulky so I can guess that their storage is not so easy.

Any comments?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline izotz

• Administrator
  • Meritorious Member
Re: How To Store Rolls?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:18:29 PM »
I do collect rolls and I had the same question as you. I saw that there were some American brands which offered some tubes to keep them. The problem was that they had the exact size to put quarters or dollars into them, but they were not suitable for example for 2€ CC rolls.

I got from one friend a few ones like these :

I think their normal use was in a laboratory. The white ones even allowed an hermetic closure. They were not easy to fin, but they were not really expensive. The bad part was that sold boxes of 500 units and shipping expenses were high. They were much cheaper than the ones from the American brands. I could put my rolls into them, although they don't have the exact size. They are good to keep them at home or to take a roll from one place to another.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
How To Store Rolls?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 04:34:40 PM »
That's a nice idea to use this kind of plastic tubes!

I'd like to hear others' comments. May be someone can suggest even better solution :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline izotz

• Administrator
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:42:42 PM »
By the way, I forgot to mention : make sure that if you ever buy them, they are not made of PVC (I suppose you know it, but other people may read about this). A better composition should be PP.

Some of mine are made of PS, which to be honest I don't know whether it is better or worse, but it turned out to be a cheap solution for me.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:51:37 PM by izotz »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
How To Store Rolls?
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »
PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride) is indeed a matter of concern, restricted not only to these tubes but also to coin holders. It reacts fast with coins and coins start turning black. (It has happened with me :'()

Aditya

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 07:16:58 PM »
PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride) is indeed a matter of concern, restricted not only to these tubes but also to coin holders. It reacts fast with coins and coins start turning black. (It has happened with me :'()

Aditya

I presume the tubes meant for pathological laboratories are free from  by- products of petroleums and harmful polymers , hence safe to use for coins.
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 11:06:15 PM »
Cheap solution: re-usable plastic bags. They come in all kinds of sizes. If you don't believe they are watertight, try pushing the air out of a closed bag.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 01:00:03 AM »
Well for storing coins of quantity  10 pcs or more ............ , I have been using Zip lock bags (LDPE)

As it is air tight and lockable hence damage to coins is less from oxidation and wear/tear. I keep these bags with silica gel

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/