Author Topic: Unofficial Andaman & Nicobar coin set??  (Read 8687 times)

paisepagal

Unofficial Andaman & Nicobar coin set??
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:31:43 AM »
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:53:51 PM by paisepagal »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Andaman & Nicobar coins ?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:45:38 AM »
As discussed earlier, these are privately made sets, not official. I think instead of banning pay-pal transactions on e-bay, Indian government should try to stop numismatic piracy like this and send a legal notice to the authority concerned.  >:(

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline malawi

Re: Andaman & Nicobar coins ?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:31:14 AM »

Sorry , but i hate these pseudo coins !!!!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »
You are by far not alone. Consider that no one forces you to buy them and that they are a boon to thematic collectors, who couldn't care less about whether a piece has circulated or not.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Harald

• Monetary History & Numismatic Linguistics
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 08:50:06 PM »
right, and since the collectors of pseudo coins don't have a clue I would also produce a set from the Nicoman & Andabar Islands  ;D

Harald
http://www.liganda.ch (monetary history & numismatic linguistics)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 02:16:10 AM »
Since this set would be seen as a challange to the soverign rights of India to the islands, I believe it would be an offence to keep / buy & sell these coins here.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 06:16:26 AM »
Even if given for free, I won't take these 'coins'. I do have my own collecting principles.. ;D >:D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 06:24:11 AM »
Even if given for free, I won't take these 'coins'. I do have my own collecting principles.. ;D >:D

Aditya

Any Law abiding collector  will not keep such coins .

Indian Coinage Act covered substantially to tackle these counterfeit coins and  actions against organizations,individuals who  indulge in production of such coins.

Cheers ;D

Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 12:16:41 PM »
Andaman coins? Check for fakes
G.C. SHEKHAR

Chennai, Feb. 18: Collectors, beware, there is now a flip side to the coin.

A website is peddling “coins” that give the impression they have been minted in Andaman and Nicobar. It would have marked a monetary milestone, something no other Indian state or Union territory could boast of. But, alas, the coins are fake.

The coins, dated 2011, are in the denomination of Rupees 20, 10, 5, 2, 1 as well as 50 and 25 paise. They carry pictures of animals and birds unique to the islands. Nothing connects them to India barring the fact that their denominations have been inscribed in Hindi, Tamil and Bengali.

R. Vaidyanadhan, an avid collector and president of the Madras Coins Society, said: “These coins can be ordered on ebay.com and coin collectors’ websites like joelcoins.com. There is nothing official about these coins as they are fakes and minted to fool collectors into buying them as something unique.”

Vaidyanadhan suspects the bimetallic coins are being minted in Australia’s Perth, where made-to-order coins are available for private collections. The Andaman and Nicobar seven-coin set is being offered on joelcoins.com for $29.50 (around Rs 1,342) with the claim that only 10,000 sets have been minted so buyers should rush to order them.

Although joelcoins.com acknowledges that Andaman and Nicobar is an Indian Union territory, the coins make it appear that they have been issued independently, as if the islands are a separate country, which is illegal under the Indian Currency Act.

The region, though, had its own unique coins when the British had minted the Andaman tokens in 1875 for circulation within the islands. “These tokens, which are a rarity now, can fetch up to Rs 3 lakh today,” Vaidyanadhan said.

“The only representation (on the Andaman coins) authentic appears to be the fauna native to the islands,” Vaidyanadhan said.

Source: The Telegraph (Kolkata)
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 12:56:54 PM »
Vaidyanadhan suspects the bimetallic coins are being minted in Australia’s Perth, where made-to-order coins are available for private collections.

They look like standard Roger Williams Mint (USA) along with the rest of these fantasy coins.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »
I wonder if government has noticed this illegal issue. Shame that no action has been taken against whosoever is concerned. (Haven't read anything like that)

Aditya

Offline malawi

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 01:55:05 PM »

all these  pseudo set coin :
-Palestine
-Darfur
-North Cypro
-Kurdistan
-Cabinda
-Cabo dakhla
-Tatarstan
-Greenland
-Galapagos
are illegal coins , are just pieces of metal

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »
You are 101% correct, malawi. All are pseudo sets  :'(

These pseudo coins are always very nicely designed and manufacturers take enough care while advertising them so that people get trapped and buy these so called coins. Fortunately, there are some wise collectors (like you and many others on this forum ;)) who know the correct facts  :)

By the way, this related topic might be of your interest.

Aditya

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 02:40:13 PM »
I wonder if government has noticed this illegal issue. Shame that no action has been taken against whosoever is concerned. (Haven't read anything like that)

Aditya

It is inevitable to control  outside parties unless internal laws for restricting counterfeits and fakes are stringent , not for just making rules on paper but for  real actions.

Famous stamp paper scam guy  was sentenced to just  ten years  rigorous imprisonment  who has been enjoying happy life inside prison like VIP.

Cheers  ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline drkrish

• TechNumo
Unofficial Andaman & Nicobar coin set??
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 04:13:04 PM »
Anybody know about this ? Please share more information

Native wildlife is featured on this set of seven unofficial 2011 dated coins from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.The bi-metallic 20 Rupees pictures a Nautilus. The bi-metallic 10 Rupees depicts a Dugong. An Indian Wild Boar is on the 5 Rupees. A Coconut Crab is shown on the 2 Rupees. The 1 Rupee has a Kuhl’s Flying Gecko. A Stork-billed Kingfisher is on the 50 Paisa and the Anadman clubtail butterfly is on the 25 Paise. The arms of the islands is on the obverse of each coin. Only 10,000 sets were minted.

Anybody know more than this?? Is this minted by any of our govt mints? How to procure this?