News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Bally-who?

Started by Figleaf, October 23, 2007, 09:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Both sides are the same. Bally is a US company with a number of European subsidiaries, making amusement machines. Can this brass token, 24.9 mm, 5.1 gram, be  attributed to any of these subsidiaries?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

I now have the same token in a nickel-like metal.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

Another of my hobbies now resurfaced is pinball machines, :D
I now have two full size arcade type pinball machines in my coin room  :D   these machines date from 1993 & were made by Bally-Williams.
20 years ago i had much earlier machines from the 1960's & back then gambling was banned in many states & these tokens were used to bend the rules in that no actual legal tender money was put in the machines.  I think my two machines still have an option to set it for tokens, I must get the manual out & have a look
Vic

malj1

Here are some more of our own bally links that mention Bally tokens:

First capn's previous run with My latest acquisitions

Peter's other Swedish amusement token

And my own here Rex machines. Denmark

This is a worldwide company but I have several of these Bally tokens that were used in the UK as was yours. Listed as Hayes 41. etc. in brass and nickel plated brass; There are varieties with the two lines at the bottom being long or short.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Thank you, Malcolm. "UK" is the information I was after. Grateful for the Hayes number. Is it the same for both brass and nickel coated brass?

@Vic: I consider coin collecting an indoor space-eating hobby, but pinball machines must be even worse. Thankfully, you haven't chosen to collect airplanes or double-decker busses instead ;)

Peter

malj1

Your brass piece is Hayes 41. the  nickel coated brass is # 41.1 those two have the short bars at base.

Of course these tokens could have been issued for use wherever a certain type of Bally machine was exported to.
Malcolm

capnbirdseye

Quote from: Figleaf on March 22, 2016, 12:53:31 PM

@Vic: I consider coin collecting an indoor space-eating hobby, but pinball machines must be even worse. Thankfully, you haven't chosen to collect airplanes or double-decker busses instead ;)

Peter

Luckily I have a whole room for my hobby  ;D the wife has another room upstairs full of sewing machines etc, I've told here it should be full of ironing boards & kitchen sinks but she won't listen unfortunately. ::)

For the few of you who might be interested here is a pic of my new baby,Star Trek the next generation pinball , considered to be amongst the best pinballs of all time & it has different missions to complete in order to get to the 'Final frontier'  great fun with original cast adding all the voice overs
Vic

FosseWay

Quote from: Figleaf on October 23, 2007, 09:30:55 PM
Both sides are the same. Bally is a US company with a number of European subsidiaries, making amusement machines. Can this brass token, 24.9 mm, 5.1 gram, be  attributed to any of these subsidiaries?

Peter

Strange - I've got Swedish variants on this coming out of my ears but have never seen a UK/English language one. The Swedish ones are identical but read Endast för förströelse.

malj1

I have thirteen types/varieties/sizes and incuse/not-incuse of the English legend ones.

The two images below show the short spacers and long spacers respectively.
Malcolm

Figleaf

The font spacing is different also, which can best be seen by comparing the alignment of the top of the Y (the bottom is slightly different in both dies) with the second M in AMUSEMENT.

Peter