News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Aurangzeb Silver Rupee - Mint ??

Started by Abhay, January 30, 2011, 04:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

Silver Rupee of Aurangzeb
Year AH 1118
RY 51 (Last Year of Aurangzeb)

Can the mint be recognised?

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Overlord

Abhay

Thanks overlord, for the confirmation.
Is it then KM # 300.100, Akbarnagar with "BADR" couplet?

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

asm

Quote from: Overlord on January 30, 2011, 04:30:11 PM
Probably Ak(barnagar).

Though AK.....looks correct, to me Akbarnagar does not gell. In all coins of Akbarnagar that I have come across or on Zeno. the RY date is placed on inside the S of the Jalus. Never seen such an arrangement.

However there is one coin here where Oesho has comented as below: The Chu Badre Munir couplet, normally found on the rupees of Aurangzeb, is for Akbarnagar only found on some of the later years.

Similarly Akbarabad too is with mint epitheth with the mint name at the top. So from where is this coin? Lukhnau or Lucknow (KM# 300.54) seems to be a good bet. See this one and this one.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Oesho

With the AH-date to left of Munir, the mint it is definitely Akbarnagar. This late year for Aurangzeb is pretty rare. Not recorded in the major museum catalogues, but listed in KM as #300.7, but in type similar to KM#300.100.

asm

Quote from: Oesho on January 31, 2011, 10:28:04 AM
With the AH-date to left of Munir, the mint it is definitely Akbarnagar.

Thank you Oesho for the confirmation of the mint name.

Quote from: Oesho on January 31, 2011, 10:28:04 AM
This late year for Aurangzeb is pretty rare.

Is the rarity for this mint only or in general for all mints.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Abhay

Thanks a lot, Oesho.
I got this coin only yesterday. The dealer, who gave me this coin, also told me that this is a rare coin, but he was also not sure of the mintname.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Oesho

QuoteIs the rarity for this mint only or in general for all mints.
It is not so much the mint, but the later years of Akbarnagar (from Yr.45 onwards) which are more scarce as the earlier years. The year 1118/Ry.51 was struck during the period of 26 November 1706 till 20 February 1707. This relative short period of time makes the coins more scarce than other years and this of course applies to all mints.