Author Topic: Can't spell "bearing"? Try "remember"  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Can't spell "bearing"? Try "remember"
« on: January 08, 2011, 02:01:46 PM »
£2 coin has spelling mistake on it
Friday, January 7th, 2011

Red-faced bosses at the Royal Mint today admitted producing a £2 – with a SPELLING MISTAKE.

The coin – made to mark the 400th anniversary of the Gunpowder plot – has the words ‘Pemember the fifth of November’ engraved around the outer rim.

Eagle-eyed collector Albi Pinnion, 46, noticed the mistake after being handed a £2 coin in change at his local pub in Ousden, Suffolk.

Remarkably, the coin was produced in 2005 and the mistake has gone un-noticed for five years.

The misprinted currency has now become hot property among coin collectors and are selling for over £10 on eBay.

Mr Pinnion said: ”When looking at the coin I just happened to notice the incorrect spelling.

”It is not the sort of thing most people would go out of their way to check so that may be why it has taken so long for one to come to light.

”I originally emailed and wrote letters to the Royal Mint but they did not want to acknowledge the coin for some reason.

”I noticed on eBay that a few more of them have now been found.”

The Royal Mint has admitted the mistake but refused to disclose how many might be in circulation.

A spokesman said: ”It’s likely to be a consequence of the production process.

”It’s very, very infrequent that we issue coins with an error. We have quality control to detect any defects.”

Coin mint error coins are commonly the result of deterioration of the minting equipment, accidents or malfunctions.

In 2008 a batch of undated 20p appeared in circulation in the UK, some of which were sold for thousands of pounds each on internet auction sites.

Mr Pinnion discovered his first faulty £2 at The Fox pub in Ousden, Suffolk in June and has now amassed 20 of the coins.

He said: ”The Royal Mint issues around a coin a year with a fault. It’s common to have between 50,000 and 20,000 with a mistake.

”They offered £50 for every 20 pence piece returned to them so you can see why they don’t want to admit mistakes. If they were all returned it could have cost them 10 million pounds.

”I do check all the change I get everywhere I go, at the pub, supermarket, everywhere.

”I’ve been a collector since I was a boy and have my father’s collection too because he was an enthusiast.

”My favourite coins are of King Henry VIII from the sixteenth century because of their history.”

Three of the misprinted £2 coins, all baring the same mistake, were sold on December 28 on eBay for £41.

Bachelor Mr Pinnion has identified other faults with £2 coins in recent years.

In 1999 a version of the coin made for that year’s Rugby World Cup he found read 999 on the rim with the numeral one missing.

Another coin issued reads with the inscription ‘standing on the shoulder of gants’ with the final word missing an i in the word for what should be giants.

Source: Small World News Sevice
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:09:56 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Can't spell "bearing"? Try "remember"
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 02:04:06 PM »
The three "errors" mentioned could all be the result of dirty dies.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:06:14 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:39:23 PM »
This error was mentioned in Coin News when the coins were still quite new....
At the time it was considered the result of a filled die.

”They offered £50 for every 20 pence piece returned to them so you can see why they don’t want to admit mistakes. If they were all returned it could have cost them 10 million pounds.

;), that was the London Mint Office, the royal mint made no such offer.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline tonyclayton

• Coins of the UK
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 11:52:46 PM »
These errors could not be caused by filled dies, as the relevant bit is in relief.

More possible is that the leg of the P broke off.  Missing I in GIANTS is quite common,
and that could be caused by pressure during striking closing the letter that had been
impressed on the blank at an earlier stage.

I have had a report of a Gunpowder Plot coin with the STANDING...GIANTS inscription in error,
and that is a much more interesting error.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:56:49 PM »
Most of the Rs that are supposed to be Ps actually have a little of the bit that makes it an R there, but it is very faint. I do not see this as an error, this is merely just missing a slight bit, why on earth people would pay so much. Saw a Pemembep pemembep the other day but didn;t bother with it!

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »

I have a 1999 Rugby World Cup £2 coin with the edge inscription apparently reading RUGBY WORLC CUP. It looks like a filled die or other similar fault to me, not an actual engraving error.