News:

The Grand Event: an all-stars happening. Make sure you don't miss it!

Main Menu

Knowledge of Viking coins requested

Started by Salvete, January 29, 2011, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salvete

Hello, everybody!

I recently was asked about a series of which I have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever (one of many!!). That series is Viking coins, and I would be most interested to hear from anybody who collects them, or anybody who can recommend good reference books about Viking history and coins, in English, please.

Thanks in advance to anybody who cares to offer assistance.

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Figleaf

No takers?

If the Viking coins are English, Tony Clayton's site and Seaby (from SE960) are good resources.

If they are Danish, try this site.

If they are Russian, there are books online that you can download.

Found no source foe Swedish Viking coins. Sorry. There is a source for Irish coins, but not online.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Zantetsuken

Viking coins are not my area of expertise either. They can be an interesting area to collect, but very expensive too. For example, many of the silver coins under Aethelred II and Cnut~The Great from England, can go for at least $300-$400 USD (at least) each. Here's one from my collection. This is a silver Short-Cross Penny from England that dated from 1016-1035 AD,and was minted in York. It was issued under Viking King: Cnut/Canute~The Great.

ENGLAND~AR Short-Cross Penny 1016-1035 AD

I also found this on Ebay which might be of interest (I hope I don't get gigged for spamming). It's a book about Viking coins in England. It seems fairly priced, and might be a good place to start. Good luck.

Viking Coins of England:  http://cgi.ebay.com/DM-217-Viking-Coins-England-/260718036131?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb40184a3

~Daniel