News:

Register to attend our live meetings.

Main Menu

Suedwest Afrika 1904-06

Started by bagerap, January 27, 2011, 12:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagerap

This pupports to be  a Southwest Africa Commemorative Medal for Combatants:

Problem is that the truncation of Germania is wrong, and also lacks the signature of the designer. This isn't a very high value piece and contemporary privately made copies are known to exist. Any ideas on value?

chrisild

Apparently a (copy of) a decoration for "merits" during the Herero genocide. Assuming that what is shown here --
http://www.traditionsverband.de/schutztruppe/sw_afrika.html
-- is the actual decorations, what you have will indeed be a copy. Had a brief look at ma-shops, and here is one that costs €85:
http://www.muenzauktion.com/fenzl/item.php5?id=2796

Christian

Figleaf

While the "eye" in your first link is well centered and far enough away from the edge not to deform the metal on the edge, it is marked and missed on bagerap's piece, deforming metal on the outline. Now have a look at the suspension of the piece in your second link...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bagerap

Hailing originally from that part of Africa, I've seen a number of genuine medals, including one in my own family. The position of the "eye" is at best,  mutable and in itself would not mark this down as a copy. The truncation though is very sloppy, but probably contemporary.

Afrasi

The original medal is made of bronze, not brass. But there are many more differences to an original piece.

bagerap

Afrasi, possibly the only thing "right" with my medal is that it isn't brass. Too heavy for one thing. 16g.
I'm begining to wonder if it's maybe modern enough to be powder coated?

Afrasi

The bronze piece above weighs 18.35 g.

Which metal is your medal made of? And which diametre does it have?

bagerap

33 mm. Were it not for the fact that it's not magnetic, I would have assumed iron or perhaps nickel.