Author Topic: 2 commemoratives 2008  (Read 5951 times)

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
Re: 2 commemoratives 2008
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 03:00:44 PM »
At one time in the past I collected a lot more US than I do now.  Every year to stay current I was purchasing an uncirculated mint set, a proof set, a silver proof set, five issues of state quarters by the roll in P mint and D mint (10 rolls of quarters), two expensive commemoratives with different mintmarks (usually 4 coins) plus what ever small medal became available. 

It had reached the point for me that by far the largest percent of my hobby funds was going to stay current and it seriously impacted my ability to have fun (it became a drudge).  Plus at that time I was collecting ALL the euros by country, date and mint and the German and Austrian commemoratives as well as World Crowns and Canadian Large Cents.

Now the US has added the dollar coins....glad I am not collecting the Mint product anymore  :)

Today, I Occasionally collect a US commemorative (bought two older ones this year so far), Occasionally an older Washington Quarter, no euros to speak of, no modern euro commemoratives (ok one here and there)  ;D  and I Occasionally collect a Canadian cent...need the Canadian 1922 and 1923 cent and I will have the 20th century conquered  :)

I avidly collect Austrian coins tokens and medals as I find something I don't have and can afford.  Also I am beginning to explore pre 1856 small denomination European coinage with a preference for large copper coins.

Where was I going with this post?  I forget  ;D

I suspect getting overwhelmed with trying to collect it all is fairly common with new collectors. I find the Euro Commemoratives one of those areas that it seems could be easy to get overwhelmed in collecting.  YMMV

Dale

BC Numismatics

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 07:17:24 AM »
Dale,the only commemorative 2 Euro coins I will be collecting are the ones from Cyprus,Ireland,& Malta.I've got Ireland's Treaty of Rome 2 Euros so far.

Aidan.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 11:48:37 AM »
To my first posting in this thread can be added:
Portugal 2 ? CC 2008 "60th Anniversary of the Declaration of Human Rights". It will be issued in June, and its mintage for circulation will be 1,000,000 pieces.

Austria, in 2008, will not be issuing another 2 ? CC.
Furthermore, there are rumours about a 2 ? CC 2008 from Belgium, and another one from Monaco, but both rumours so far have not been confirmed officially.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 02:05:11 PM »
Portugal 2 ? CC 2008 "60th Anniversary of the Declaration of Human Rights".

Hey, that's actually a worthy cause for a commemorative, not particularly European, but arguably a milestone in human development! It can be done!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2007, 01:15:25 AM »
More news from the rumor mill: There may be a French ?2 commem next year, with a relatively high mintage of 10 million or so. The theme will (possibly ;) ) be the 50th anniversary of the Fifth Republic. And Italy apparently plans to commemorate, like Portugal, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. We'll see ...

Christian
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 12:30:04 PM by chrisild »

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 10:36:22 AM »
An item unrelated to the rumor mill is that San Marino's AASFN months ago (mid July) has announced that they will issue another 2 ? commemorative in September 2008. No details re the subject are revealed yet.
(Allthough this issue -again- will be blistered individually and will be sold at a multiple of its face value, thus is not intended for circulation).
Regards,
a3v1
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 11:05:16 AM »
Thanks to Henning Agt (www.euro-auflagen.de) a picture of the official design for the Slovenian 2 ? commemorative 2008 can be shown.
Regards,
a3v1
-------------

BC Numismatics

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 11:16:51 AM »
A3v1,that's a very nice Slovenian 2 Euro coin design that you've posted.It would be cool if both Cyprus & Malta were planning to issue commemoratives to mark their accession to the Eurozone.

Aidan.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2007, 03:16:13 PM »
Isn't Trubar already on a Slovenian 1 euro coin?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2007, 12:42:57 PM »
Isn't Trubar already on a Slovenian 1 euro coin?
Quite correct, Peter. Trubar is sort of a national hero in Slovenia as he was the one who first introduced the Slovenian language as a written language, and the 2008 coin celebrates his 500th birthday.

Quote from: BC Numismatics on November 30, 2007, 11:16:51 AM
It would be cool if both Cyprus & Malta were planning to issue commemoratives to mark their accession to the Eurozone.
Aidan, Both Cyprus and Malta are marking their accession to the Eurozone by issuing a complete series (8 denominations) of Euro coins. Shouldn't that suffice?
Regards,
a3v1
-------------

BC Numismatics

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2007, 12:47:30 PM »
Peter,here's a link; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovenian_euro_coins .

A3v1,didn't Cyprus & Malta both issued commemorative medal-coins upon their accesion to the E.U.? I reckon that they could issue a commemorative upon their accession to the Eurozone,just like Germany did back in 2002.

Aidan.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2007, 01:02:56 PM »
I reckon that they could issue a commemorative upon their accession to the Eurozone, just like Germany did back in 2002.
Aidan, you are mistaken. The German 2002 coin commemorated the introduction of the Euro in a dozen of European nations as a completely new currency, and not the accession of Germany to the Eurozone.
Regards,
a3v1
-------------

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2007, 02:57:50 PM »
The Trubar "theme" was the result of some kind of vote AFAIR - 25 issue themes were suggested, Trubar got most votes, followed by the Slovenian EU Presidency (rank 2) and Valentin Vodnik (rank 3). The presidency and Vodnik will thus be commemorated on regional collector coins while Trubar makes it to a commemorative coin.

What I do not particularly like about the design is the somewhat verbose center. Most recent issues have nothing but the Twelve Stars of Europe on the "ring", so that everything else has to be in the middle part. Not sure whether this is an EU suggestion; after all, the German ?2 commems all have the country name and the year on the ring. So it may have been possible with the Trubar 2008 commem too ...

Christian