Linked Events

• Holland Coin Fair: February 04, 2011 - February 08, 2011
  • Holland Coin Fair (Den Haag): February 10, 2012 - February 11, 2012
  • Holland Coin Fair (Den Haag): February 08, 2013 - February 09, 2013
  • Holland Coin Fair (Den Haag): February 14, 2014 - February 15, 2014
  • Holland Coin Fair (Den Haag): February 06, 2015 - February 07, 2015

Author Topic: Holland Coin Fair  (Read 3854 times)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Holland Coin Fair
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:14:34 PM »
This is one of the two big annual coin bashes in the Netherlands, and since it's big, it has to have a name in bad English. The 2011 edition is in The Hague:

World Forum Convention Center (yup, it's big)
Churchillplein 10
2517 KW Den Haag

Opening hours are 4th February, 16:00 to 21:00 and 5th February, 10:00 to 17:00. More "information" in Dutch is here.

I won't go, unless some WoC member goes.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:15:09 AM by chrisild »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Holland Coin Fair
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »
In the end, I did go, in order to find out about the Erasmus deuros. I picked up some Belgian euro coins at prices I considered scandalous, but they are not getting any better and I didn't find them in circulation or trade. The 2008 coins I wanted were nowhere is sight, though. Strange. Otherwise, didn't buy anything. There was a Belgian dealer with a very nice collection of Belgian tokens of the 1920's, but too expensive for my taste (€15-20, I know, I am spoilt)

Did run into some fellow collectors, including Oesho, who was trying to entice people to join ONS with a delicious show of Sassanids and their imitations from the Indian peninsula over a period of 700 years. Eye popping and easily stealing the show from the dealers with tired collections of Dutch coins and packaged pseudo stuff. Oesho showed me his iPad, allowing him to visit WoC even on the road. Another item on my wish list *sigh*.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:49:17 AM »
This year's HCF will be on Fri 10 Feb and Sat 11 Feb, again in Den Haag (The Hague). More info:

http://www.nvmh.nl/nieuws/algemeen/140
http://www.knm.nl/Holland-Coin-Fair-2012-introductie-2-euro-10-jaar-euro-in-Proof-kwaliteit/nl/news/314/

One highlight from the Dutch Mint's POV (the mint has a booth there too) will be the Dutch proof version of this year's common €2 issue. Apparently the Holland Coin Fair is the first occasion to get one of those. But there will be lots of other dealers and offers ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
HCF 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 08:04:51 PM »
The Holland Coin Fair has a new location this year - the Mercure Hotel Leidschendam in Den Haag/The Hague. More information is at http://www.hollandcoinfair.nl

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »
Hmm, for some reason editing the date of this year's HCF resulted in "editing" Figleaf's initial post. I'm totally innocent as usual. :)  The 2015 Holland Coin Fair will be on 6-7 Feb, at the Mercure Hotel again. Opening hours are Fri 16-21 h and Sat 10-16 h; admission €5.

The Dutch Mint (KNM) will have a new coin card from the "I love Holland" series. The card contains a regular €2 coin and a bimetallic medal with a special "Dutch theme"; this time it's about the stroopwafel (caramel syrup waffle). There will also be extra exhibitions; according to the website:

* The Oriental Numismatic Society (ONS) will present a mini-exhibition with the subject: British East India Company - Madras Presidency.
* The numismatic Circle The Hague illustrates the topic "Coins from the Levant, where East and West meet"

Christian

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:52:02 AM »
If you never had stroopwafel, get one before you die, as freshly baked as you can get them. As Dutch inventions go, this one ranks on the level of the reading glasses, way above the fly in the toilet pot :)

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 03:30:50 PM »
Argh, do not mention stroopwafels! Love them but just got back from the dentist. ;) Agreed though, the ones you can get at stands in the streets tend to taste much better ...

Those coin cards come in different versions, by the way: The regular type has a base metal KNM medal, but some of the cards (randomly, I hope) contain that medal in silver.

Christian