Author Topic: Bolivian Copper Melgarejo?  (Read 5190 times)

Offline ZYV

• Meritorious Member
Re: Bolivian Copper Melgarejo?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 11:20:00 AM »
Thank you for the answer, dear Figleaf!
So, we can translate legend on the obverse: MELGAREJO in POTOSI & TARATA?

And this 1/4 MELGAREJO medal/coin was dedicated to adoption of his constitution?

P,S. I can add here or in a new theme ( MELGAREJO MEDAL COINAGE) scans of my coins.
Is it worth to do?   
My publications on numismatics and history of Golden Horde  https://independent.academia.edu/ZayonchkovskyYuru

Offline ZYV

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 11:23:10 AM »
My publications on numismatics and history of Golden Horde  https://independent.academia.edu/ZayonchkovskyYuru

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 02:12:25 PM »
In case of doubt, it is always better to post. In this case, it would be particularly valuable, since the original picture disappeared.

I found a number of these medals on the net, e.g. here. They are usually called proclamation medals and were a tool used by other presidents also. They are often found holed, so I think it would be best to see them as fund-raising items, sold at a profit. That also explains the copper variants. When they were silvered, they could be sold at the same price as the silver medals, but at a bigger profit margin.

There is another 1868 medal, explicitly devoted to the constitution. The only other noteworthy event in 1868 was the tripartite war against Paraguay, but that war was ongoing and though Melgarejo took the side of Paraguay, he provided verbal support only. As all the medals I found so far have domestic Bolivian themes, I think the Constitution is the likely theme.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.