Bulgarian coin of 1881

Started by Figleaf, January 07, 2011, 12:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Could anyone provide a translation of the motto on this Bulgarian 1881 coin, please?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

On a hunch, I typed "unity is strength" into Google Translate and the Bulgarian came out as:

Съединението прави силата

Insert dashes before the postposed articles and that looks like a match to me.

Figleaf

Thanks Martin! Makes sense.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

My pleasure - the last word in the "Workers of the World, Unite!" slogan on RSFSR coins/banknotes is quite close in appearance to the first word in your Bulgarian slogan, so it was a short step from Unite! to Unity ...

translateltd

For amusement, go to translate.google.com and then copy-and-paste the Bulgarian text:

съединението прави силата

and see what happens.

If you get the same answer as I do, we have proof that the program can't entirely be relied upon :-)

Figleaf

As you write it, it just says Inglès, which is quite weird. If I add the dash before TO and the space before TA, it says "Joint-forces, makes it so", which is of course pretty perfect :D

Peter