Author Topic: Rhodesia & Southern Rhodesian Halfcrowns 1948, 49  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Numii_Anglii

Rhodesia & Southern Rhodesian Halfcrowns 1948, 49
« on: December 30, 2010, 04:29:40 PM »
Southern Rhodesia is now modern Zimbabwe ran by the tyrant Robert Mugabe. It was originally named after Cecil Rhodes (in 1895) who was an English mining businessman who founded deBeers mining company in 1888 which was monopolistic during the 20th Century. The British Government had made an agreement that Cecil Rhodes' company, The British South Africa Company would rule the country and it did so until 1923. The original name for the territory had been "South Zambezia" but it became "South Rhodesia" at first, adopting the name "Southern Rhodesia" in 1901 and in 1964 it became Rhodesia after the breakup of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland. It declared Independence from the UK in 1965 but was not recognized officially at that time. This was the first time any state had declared its independence unilaterally since the 4th of July 1776. Between 1964 and 1979 Zimbabwe/Rhodesia went through a period of war known as the Second Chimurenga (from a Shona word meaning Revolutionary Struggle or War for Independence). The guerrilla war resulted in the victory of the ZANU (Shona) and (ZAPU) Ndebele movements over the minority white Government of Ian Douglas Smith. In 1979 it declared itself Zimbabwe Rhodesia which paved the way for the creation of the modern state of Zimbabwe which became officially independent on April 18th, 1980.

I recently sorted through a nice lot of South Africa and Rhodesia coins in which were found many nice pieces and some in very high grades. Here are a couple of Southern Rhodesia Halfcrowns, the 1948 I would rate as VF and the 49 as an F. Please appreciate.

1948)

Is there an error in Krause? These coins appear to be listed at 100 and 110 dollars but there is a small gap after the '1' so was this where a decimal point was meant to be?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:15:41 PM by Afrasi »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Some coins of "Rhodesia" (Halfcrowns 1948,49)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 06:31:37 PM »
In my 36th editions they are marked at a few USD each, which is correct.

Full details are preserved on your coins, but unfortunately the pitting makes your grading correct in my opinion.

In the text you quote, "the tyrant Robert Mugabe" and "the English mining businessman" Cecil Rhodes is a bit too partial for my taste. Rhodes was an ultra-right political ideologue, who set the tone that was maintained until Smith and made an ultra-nationalist reaction possible (maybe even inevitable). Mugabe is ultimately responsible for his own actions, but to exonerate Rhodes' racist policies and thoughts for what happened in Zimbabwe is strange.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Numii_Anglii

Re: Some coins of "Rhodesia" (Halfcrowns 1948,49)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »
You assume that my phrase "the English mining businessman" was an exultation of Capitalist beliefs which I don't have. I really think they were all just greedy imerialist fascists to be honest. But the whole essay is just meant to be a basic outline and not in any way indicative of political beliefs or any kind or spin on events, it was simply meant to inform and to give a brief outline as to the history of the country ad the creation of the modern state. The coins are the important thing.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:40:51 PM by Numii_Anglii »