BRITISH EAST INDIA COMPANY-1 MOHUR PATTERN SILVER COIN

Started by Abhay, December 28, 2010, 10:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

A pattern coin for Palm and Lion Type 1 Mohur is currently listed on E-bay for Rs. 80K. I have not heard about any such coin before.

Any coments regarding its Genuineness?

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Oesho

Such patterns do exist but it is hard to say which are genuine and which are not.
The Flaxman’s Lion design was selected for the obverse of the proposed new coinage by Lord W. Bentinck, in lieu of the effigy of William IV. The pattern was forwarded for approval on 25th March 1835, but it was rejected by the new Governor-General, Sir Charles Metcalfe.

Below a copper specimen of the proposed new obverse with the Flaxman’s Lion. I very much question it’s authenticity and most probably is a later specimen. Why? The design is to rough and the lion is poorly designed, see the right for paw of the lion, compared with the design on the one mohur (Y#A4a) of Queen Victoria 1841. The original lion design took 26 days to prepare.

The roughness of design also applies to the silver ‘pattern’ which is offered on eBay. Uniface strikings are nevertheless known. See Pridmore (Pr. #8) where a uniface striking of a reverse design of the Victoria 2 mohur is described.

Despite that the silver specimen of the 1 ashrafi is of better quality than the uniface copper piece of  BRITISH INDIA, their authenticity is still not clear.

(Attachements would not up-load. Will try later)

Abhay

Thanks for the reply, Oesho.

However, if you look at the Seller's ratings, it is quite impressive at 100% and 1159 ratings, till date.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Oesho

Have you seen a similar pattern with the same seller?
I know the seller is of good reputation, but two similar pieces in one sale doesn't make the 'patterns' not very reliable.

Sorry, The upload folder remains to be full. What can be done about it?

British India lion pattern obv:

British India lion pattern rev:

Victoria Queen 1841 Mohur YA4a

Bimat

The same Upload Folder problem. You may send me all the scans on my e-mail address (my e-mail address is visible to members) and I'll embed them here (if you wish) :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

andyg

This coin I think is fake, it doesn't "look right", same seller though.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Coinsforever

In my opinion seems suspicious because if you notice what are other coins being offer by him are :

1. Mostly Mysore - already lot of fakes in market and easily available in lots.

Another interesting item

2.1835 BRITISH EAST INDIA COMPANY WILLIAM TEMPLE COIN SEE  ?

linkhttp://cgi.ebay.in/1835-BRITISH-EAST-INDIA-COMPANY-WILLIAM-TEMPLE-COIN-SEE-/260577166612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item3cab9c0514#ht_3090wt_905

For this particular coin of BRITISH EAST INDIA COMPANY 10 RS. PATTERN SILVER COIN not even mention weight ? and other data is vague. ???

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Abhay

I have been purchasing these EAST INDYA COMPANY 1 ANNA coins for Rs. 75 each from a dealer, who sits near DELITE theatre, on Sundays in New Delhi, and he has atleast 50 different varieties of these EAST INDYA coins. They are certainly fakes.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY