Strange Brothel Token? (erotic content)

Started by Natnat, December 26, 2010, 08:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

That's interesting, many thanks for the information. I can see the great similarity to each other, so both may have been manufactured by the same company.

Your token shows a value of 25 (?), but the Olga's piece shows nothing which makes me wonder what its purpose was. Do you have any idea? Also, is the French example a shellcard or a hard brass token?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have a natural curiousity about these things. :)

Thank you again.

Bruce
Always Faithful

maxmissy

Most french brothel tokens were shell cards ( it's the case here )
Including yours, I am quite sure that they were manufactured by a french company ( Could be Cartaux )
25 is part of the address : " 25 Rue Ste Appoline "
There are two different explanations for this kind of token
1° - It was an advertising token ( I agree with that )
2° - The ladies were paid with this token which they could exchange with cash at the owner of the brothel ( I doubt )
I will check if I can find same reverse on other ones as soon as possible ( I have to check my collection )

Prosit

Maybe for a free cigar or drink afterward  ;)

Dale

maxmissy

Figleaf

For this business, you need to bring your own cigar :)

FWIW, I agree with maxmissy that these are all advertising tokens. I can't think of a situation where they would become useful in the course of the transaction.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

maxmissy

Just two examples with same reverse design ( sorry for the pictures, my scanner is a bit tired ! )

brandm24

Quote from: Figleaf on December 10, 2020, 05:22:51 PM
For this business, you need to bring your own cigar :)

Peter

That's why I never leave the house without a cigar in my pocket. ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Quote from: maxmissy on December 10, 2020, 03:14:43 PM
Most french brothel tokens were shell cards ( it's the case here )
Including yours, I am quite sure that they were manufactured by a french company ( Could be Cartaux )
25 is part of the address : " 25 Rue Ste Appoline "
There are two different explanations for this kind of token
1° - It was an advertising token ( I agree with that )
2° - The ladies were paid with this token which they could exchange with cash at the owner of the brothel ( I doubt )
I will check if I can find same reverse on other ones as soon as possible ( I have to check my collection )

I couldn't see the entire reverse of the token so thought the 25 was a unit of value. Cartaux did make a lot of tokens, especially shell cards, but as far as I know always "signed" them as Cartaux / Paris and with or without their initials in a small diamond shaped punch.

I agree also that they were likely advertising tokens, but I still think they may have had a value attached...perhaps just not overtly. The old wink and a nod routine, maybe. ;)

Bruce
Always Faithful

jezuss

here are two tokens from my collection.

both are 22 mm

malj1

We have another topic on brothel tokens here Brothel tokens?

This includes a version from Western Australia issued by the Kalgoorlie madam that traded under the nom de plume of Russian Martha.

I don't know of any other brothel tokens that have been issued anywhere in Australia!

BTW the correct makers name is Frances Cartaux of Paris. (mm FC with a barrel above in triangle)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

brandm24

This is the most interesting token I've seen so far. There doesn't seem to be much known about the brothel but the attached image of a business card gives some information. It was located in Algiers at 1 Rue Du Captan.

I found two examples in auction records...possibly the same piece. Not sure. One describes it as silver, the other copper / nickel. One example was graded and slabbed by PCGS. It's considered extremely rare.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

This very plain token is described on auction sites as a brothel token, though it's hard to tell by the information provided. It's location was in Taiban, De Baca County, New Mexico according to them.

I researched the piece and found nothing about a brothel ever being in that town. Taiban was founded in 1908 as a frontier ranching community, but never grew beyond a small crossroads stop to somewhere else.
It was a church-going place but also a hard-drinking one where liquor was legal one year and illegal the next...depended who was the mayor at the time.

One name drew my attention though...the Pink Pony Saloon. If prostitution did flourish in Taiban, it likely was conducted out of this place as it had many run-ins with the church and city government over the years. Not only did they serve liquor but also held cock fights and other unsavory events there. Why not prostitution? I plan on searching for Sadie Blair in census records and see if she shows up.

The tokens themselves are 24 mm brass. There may be other denominations but I only came across these two.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

I wasn't able to trace this token, but came across an interesting "variety" of it. The shell card had come apart and apparently only the one piece has survived. The pictures show that piece from the top and bottom.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

So is that piece topless or bottomless? :P

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Quote from: Figleaf on December 14, 2020, 02:32:04 PM
So is that piece topless or bottomless? :P

Peter
In a place like that, both. :-[

Bruce
Always Faithful