Author Topic: Earliest numerical dates on coins  (Read 4959 times)

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
Earliest numerical dates on coins
« on: October 03, 2007, 10:24:32 PM »
What is the earliest dated coin (AD date)?

BC Numismatics

Re: Earliest numerical dates on coins
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 12:43:58 AM »
There is a Scots coin that was issued in 1539 - the Scots Ducat or 'Bonnet Piece'.It depicts King James V (ruled 1513-42) facing right.The coin was tariffed at 40 Shillings.This coin is not only the first Scots coin to bear a date,but the first British coin.The first dated English coins were issued in 1551 with the date in Roman numerals - the King Edward VI silver 1/2 Crown & Crown,which depicts the King on a horse.

Aidan.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 02:39:45 AM »
The little Salzburg coin Figleaf picked up for me and he showed an image of here of is 1519.  What I am trying to learn is what is the earliest dated coin (AD date) from any country?

BC Numismatics

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 02:58:15 AM »
Dale,some ancient Roman coins have clues that you can work out the date from.These clues can be found in the Emperor's titles.

Aidan.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 11:58:34 AM »
Dale, the earliest AD-date can be found on a coin of Aachen (German city), the date is 1372. This date is in Roman numerals, as are all AD-dates in the next fifty years.
The earliest AD-date in Arabic numerals is on a coin of St.Gall (Switzerland) and reads 1424.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline Goodies

• Lx Goodies Muntenboek
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 08:39:40 PM »
hi,

Nice numismatic topic ! Let's dive 8)

My favorite Roman provincal coins show a relative date irt 239AD, it shows AN with I, II, III, IV or IIII, V, VI etcetera

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/index.php/topic,734.msg2996.html#msg2996

Leave out "numerical" from.. 

dates on coins

I've found the earliest imperial coins that can be designated to 1 year, see below. Tiberius.

I'm not an expert on Greek and Republican, but I know Republican denarii exist with a specific sign (a small symbol stamp) for each year.

Ok, Roman imperial. let's have a timeline of imperial Roman titles.. well documented dates..

23 B.C. - Augustus: TR.P. for life
20 B.C. - Augustus: IMP.4
15 B.C. - Augustus: IMP.5
13 B.C. - Augustus: COS.11,
- Tiberius: COS.1
12 B.C. - Augustus: IMP.11; PONT.MAX.
- Tiberius: IMP
11 B.C. - Augustus: IMP.12
8 B.C. - Augustus: IMP .14
- Tiberius: IMP.2
7 B.C. - Tiberius: COS.2
6 B.C. - Tiberius: TR.P.
5 B.C. - Tiberius: TR.P.-TR.P.2

4 B.C. - Tiberius: TR.P.2-3
3 B.C. - Tiberius: TR.P.3-4
2 B.C. - Augustus: P.P.,
- Tiberius: TR.P.4-5
1 B.C. - Tiberius: TR.P.5 expires, is not renewed
4 A.D. - Tiberius: TR.P.6
5 A.D. - Tiberius: TR.P.6-7; IMP.3

In the year 13BC prince (caesar) Tiberius, the son of Augustus, aquired the title COS I, designated Consul for the first time. Now Tiberius coins that show COS I were struck between summer 13BC and summer 7BC.

The earliest single year we can find in above timeline is

6 B.C. - Tiberius: TR.P.
5 B.C. - Tiberius: TR.P.-TR.P.2

Find a coin with Tiberius TRP (and not TRPP or TRP II  ;) ) it can be dated between Juli 6BC and Juli 5BC.

:)
Lx
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 08:42:04 PM by Goodies »

translateltd

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 10:24:58 AM »
Dale, the earliest AD-date can be found on a coin of Aachen (German city), the date is 1372. This date is in Roman numerals, as are all AD-dates in the next fifty years.
The earliest AD-date in Arabic numerals is on a coin of St.Gall (Switzerland) and reads 1424.
Regards,
a3v1

I believe the earliest AD date on coins was used in Denmark in 1234 (in Roman numerals).  I remember this from the Guinness Book of Records many years ago, and double-checked here:

Early dated coins of Europe
Earliest dated coins of various nations and states: 1234 Denmark (Roskilde) 1372 Belgium (Schoonvorst) 1372 German States (Aachen) 1424 Switzerland [I Z ]* ...
www.medievalcoinage.com/earlydated/index.htm - 14k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
[ More results from www.medievalcoinage.com ]

BC Numismatics

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 10:41:01 AM »
Martin,that is very interesting.I am familiar with the earliest dated British Isles coin,which I have referred to above.It is listed in the pink Coincraft catalogue.

Aidan.

translateltd

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 11:27:57 PM »
There is a Scots coin that was issued in 1539 - the Scots Ducat or 'Bonnet Piece'.It depicts King James V (ruled 1513-42) facing right.The coin was tariffed at 40 Shillings.This coin is not only the first Scots coin to bear a date,but the first British coin.The first dated English coins were issued in 1551 with the date in Roman numerals - the King Edward VI silver 1/2 Crown & Crown,which depicts the King on a horse.

Aidan.

Just to keep this part of the thread complete, while 1551 was the first date in Arabic (not Roman) numerals on English coins, shillings of Edward VI were issued in 1549 and 1550 with the date in Roman numerals.  1549 would therefore have to count as the earliest AD date on an English coin.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 11:28:39 PM »
For an excellent overview of the earliest dated coins, see this site.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 11:48:24 PM »
For an excellent overview of the earliest dated coins, see this site.

Peter

Yup, see the link in msg 7 in this thread :-)

I had the enjoyable opportunity to browse through the Frey catalogue while I was filling in time at Noble Numismatics' office in Sydney last year before heading off to the airport.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 12:02:39 AM »
Sorry. I was so happy to have found this site again I forgot to re-read the thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.