News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Help asked identifying these coins

Started by rick, December 08, 2010, 05:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick

Hello,

can somebody help me identify these coins:
... see below

The first is from year 30.. In my KM there's only 31 and 32. Does year 30 really exist (looks very professional for a fake)?

Greetings Rick

This is what I think to know... but please correct me and if possible fill in the ""?". Every extra information is welcome...
1. China 50 cents year 30
all coins are identified now.. thanks..
I've made a seperate post for every coin.. most were fakes and chinese..

andyg

Yr 30 was listed, it had quite a high catalogue value $125 in VF, not sure why it's been removed.

The coin on the top row (right) is not a coin but a medal/souvenir of Ottoman origin, I have a similar medal with the Tougra but without the portrait.

For the Chinese Cash, this is the best place to start http://www.sportstune.com/chinese/coins/idpage.html
Though I think I see some Vietnamese cash too on the scan.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

rick

Thanks Andy,

in what catalog it was listed and since when its removed (the 50 cents year 30)?
The medal is clear I think..
About the cash coins.. I already tried these on this same site.. but without succes, many others I could find at that site.
Thanks for the start..

andyg

Krause, 1994.

Try Vietnam in Krause for some of your cash coins.....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

Sorry for the picture problem we have here. If you wish, send me a high-resolution picture and I'll see if we can get a bit more specific.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Chinasmith

In my opinion, this Year 30 China half dollar is a cast forgery. These pieces started coming on the market in the 1980's -- usually with weak areas in the borders or other casting marks. Note the crack at the 7 o'clock position. I have seen several of these pieces over the years, some fairly well made, others very poor. Some of the better ones have turned up in auctions. I think these pieces were made in the 1980's for collectors. Before that time, the Year 30 was only known as a very rare pattern, and well made, on machinery originally from the Shanghai Mint.
Researcher on coins, paper money and tokens of China.

Figleaf

Mmmm. If it is cast, it is really well done. Details are sharp, no sign of trapped air and the crack looks like a typical die crack. The "shady"areas at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. The "ping"test should tell us more. Meanwhile, even if it is struck, the imitation story sounds plausible to me. Even before eBay, Chinese coins were infamous for the fakes and fantasies.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.