Author Topic: Baroda, Rupee ino Shah Alam II, Mint: Sankhera / Sankheda.  (Read 1071 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Baroda, Rupee ino Shah Alam II, Mint: Sankhera / Sankheda.
« on: December 04, 2010, 07:47:37 AM »
From the discription of the coins of Sankhera mint that I have heard, this coin looks to be from there. It does not have the mint name on the flan. I could not find any other coin on ZENO or WoC to compare it with. Though I found references on the net, I could not find a picture of a coin. The Standard Catalogue does not list Sankheda or Sankhera as a mint of Baroda. Please help........

Amit
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:25:41 PM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

akona20

Re: Baroda, Rupee ino Shah Alam II, Mint: Sankhera?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 08:58:55 AM »
Sankheda?

Offline Salvete

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 10:13:32 AM »
Sankheda (sometimes spelled Sankhera) was a minor mint of Baroda state.  The coins are copies of rupees and half rupees of Baroda mint with the curved sabre within the 'S' of 'Jalus' like this one has.  The coins are hard to tell apart, and only the presence of the mint name is definitive, imho - but Oesha may well tell us the subtle differences to be aware of.  I think your coin is of Sankhera mint, Amit, but if you keep looking, you will surely find one with the mint name, or part of it, on the flan.  Good Hunting.

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 01:09:40 PM »
Salvete has sent me pictures of his coins of Sankheda. Thanks a lot for the pictures.

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 12:25:09 PM »
I believed these coins are rare. This belief was reinforced recently when I noticed that there is not a single coin of this mint on ZENO. I also read a post by Mr Shailen Bhandare on Fb (dated 2012) where in he had mentioned that he had as yet (then in 2012) come across a dated coin of this mint.
I was fortunate to have been offered this coin by a dealer friend - a rupee of Baroda, Mint: Sankheda (with almost the entire mint name showing) and with the date as a bonus. The date reads 4120 which may have been for 1204.

Amit

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Baroda, Rupee ino Shah Alam II, Mint: Sankhera / Sankheda.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 01:19:45 PM »
Congratulations, Amit. A worthy acquisition. Great to have the picture here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 06:22:24 PM »
Congrats! Rarely comes with mint on flan.. the mint reads Sanheda instead of sankheda(no kaf anywhere).. But ips coins are expected to have crude calligraphy.
Dr.Abhishek

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 06:33:42 AM »
Congrats! Rarely comes with mint on flan.. the mint reads Sanheda instead of sankheda(no kaf anywhere).. But ips coins are expected to have crude calligraphy.
So a double blunder by the poor, illiterate engraver...........Worngly engraved date and the mint name too.........

Amit