News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Jahandar Shah, Half Rupee, Surat - 2 types.

Started by asm, November 23, 2010, 08:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

The coins of Jahandar Shah who ruled for a few months in AH 1124 (AD 1712) are not too easy to come by. Here are two Half Rupees of Surat Mint, both of different types:

The Half rupee with the normal ledgend:

and the Half Rupee with the Shahib Qiran Ledgend:

I hope I have not made a mistake in attributing the second coin to Jahandar Shah which is based on AH 1124 RY 1 as is seen on the coin. This date combination is also possible for Farrukhsiyar and only a part of the emperror's name is seen on the coin.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Abhay

Nice coins, Amit.
You really have a good collection of Mughal Coins.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Salvete

I do not think there is any doubt about your attribution of the second coin, ASM.  I have compared it with both rulers' rupees, and it matches Jahandar Shah and is nothing like Farrukhsiyar's coin.  Very good to have both halves - they are hard to get.

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Oesho

Despite the short rule of Jahandar Shah (19 March 1712 to 1 February 1713, according Julian Calendar), he issued coins from many mints and often in two different legends.
a) abu'l fath ghazi jahandar shah
b) sahib qiran jahandar shah badshah-i-jahan
Surat is a mint of which coins with both legends are found.
Coins of Jahandar Shah are not rare, but aren't found very frequent either. The coins with the Sahib Qiran legend seems to be slightly more scarce as the the coins with the Abu'l Fath legend.

asm

Quote from: Oesho on November 23, 2010, 11:39:29 AM
...........Coins of Jahandar Shah are not rare, but aren't found very frequent either. The coins with the Sahib Qiran legend seems to be slightly more scarce as the the coins with the Abu'l Fath legend.

Dear Oesho,

Thank you for the confirmation. I do agree that the coins of Jahandar Shah are not rare and are found more frequently than those of other Mughal rulers who ruled for less than a year. However, I am not too sure of the fractions.....The half rupees I have come across only these two in many years.........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Oesho

QuoteI do agree that the coins of Jahandar Shah are not rare and are found more frequently than those of other Mughal rulers who ruled for less than a year. However, I am not too sure of the fractions.....The half rupees I have come across only these two in many years.........
Definitely, fractions are much more rare, but this applies to all Mughal rulers. Among the half rupee denominations, most are of Surat mint. Of Jahandar I have only two half rupees, one of Multan and another of Surat.