News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Received in Change

Started by Prosit, November 21, 2010, 05:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosit

It isn't unusual to find old Jefferson Nickels still circulating but it is unusual to find one from the very first year of issue.  I got this one in change yesterday.

Dale

Figleaf

It has come to the point where only in the US and Switzerland you can still find coins in circulation older than me. This one still looks good. Probably a nice trading item as well. So what will you do with it?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

I already have one so it is a duplicate.  Think a fellow collector here has it on his want list so that is where it will wind up eventually.

Dale

Quote from: Figleaf on November 22, 2010, 10:13:23 AM
It has come to the point where only in the US and Switzerland you can still find coins in circulation older than me. This one still looks good. Probably a nice trading item as well. So what will you do with it?

Peter

Ukrainii Pyat

I don't search nickel rolls too often, I have gotten maybe three or four 1938's in change over the years.  I have gotten three Buffalos too, the earliest a 1923.

But cents are a different story.  I search those regularly, buying 1-2 boxes of 2500 a week and going through them.  Back in May I found a 1901 Indian.  A couple of weeks ago found a well beaten up 1909 Lincoln, a 1912-D, a 1916 in VF, a 1919-S and a blank(unstruck) cent and a couple of clip errors and one cent from 1988 that is about 15% off of centre.  This last box on Sunday was a bust, only 4 wheats, and four George VI Canadians, the earliest a 1937.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Prosit

I don't routinely search rolls but when I do, I like to search Five Cent and Half-dollar rolls.  Half-dollar rolls ocassionally contain a 40% Silver half or two.
I rolled some cents this last weekend and put 2-3 wheats in each roll and even a steelie or two.  Maybe some collector will enjoy finding them.

Dale

Quote from: scottishmoney on November 22, 2010, 06:10:37 PM
I don't search nickel rolls too often, I have gotten maybe three or four 1938's in change over the years.  I have gotten three Buffalos too, the earliest a 1923.

But cents are a different story.  I search those regularly, buying 1-2 boxes of 2500 a week and going through them.  Back in May I found a 1901 Indian.  A couple of weeks ago found a well beaten up 1909 Lincoln, a 1912-D, a 1916 in VF, a 1919-S and a blank(unstruck) cent and a couple of clip errors and one cent from 1988 that is about 15% off of centre.  This last box on Sunday was a bust, only 4 wheats, and four George VI Canadians, the earliest a 1937.

Ukrainii Pyat

I just finished sifting through 15,000 cents just today.  Out of one box I pulled 63 wheats.  Also five dimes.  Will enumerate all of them later and post the results. 

translateltd

It has come to the point where only in the US and Switzerland you can still find coins in circulation older than me.

Peter

I'm scratching to find other examples, but what about Canadian cents?  The maple reverse dates to B.P. (Before Peter), but I don't know if any earlier years in the series have been demonetised with the various changes in shape, composition, etc.  Ditto the "beaver" 5c.  Anyone know?

Japan's 5-yen (first type, with the cursive script) is coeval with you.  I used to find the odd one in change in the 1980s and assume they still turn up now and then.

Scary realisation all the same, though.

Figleaf

I don't remember seeing any Georgian coins in Canada, but that may be my weak memory. The current low value Japanese coins were introduced six to ten years after my birth. Switzerland is theory only. The oldest coins I remember seeing were from the late sixties.

I can think of a type that was issued before my birth and is still being issued unchanged, but it doesn't circulate: Dutch gold ducats.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Ukrainii Pyat

The only likely Georgian finds are GVI cents, but I have gotten a handful of GV cents too, back as far as 1920.  The best I have gotten lately is a 1925 - only 1M minted.

Afrasi

It has come to the point where only in the US and Switzerland you can still find coins in circulation older than me. Peter

What about Liechtenstein and Zimbabwe for example? ;D

andyg

Quote from: Figleaf on November 23, 2010, 11:01:34 AM
I don't remember seeing any Georgian coins in Canada,

I released a bag full of 5 cents back into the wild (for Scottishmoney to find) last month!
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

translateltd

The current low value Japanese coins were introduced six to ten years after my birth.

Look again - the first type of the current design 5-yen was introduced a few years earlier than the second.  Metal, shape, weight and general design are the same (apart from the cursive characters) so they still pass unnoticed.

I can think of a type that was issued before my birth and is still being issued unchanged, but it doesn't circulate: Dutch gold ducats.

In that case we can add the British sovereign too!

Ukrainii Pyat

Quote from: andyg on November 23, 2010, 07:39:24 PM
I released a bag full of 5 cents back into the wild (for Scottishmoney to find) last month!

Seriously I did get a 1945 GVI five cents just yesterday - it is one of the chromium plated coins - actually kind of cool.

thelawnet

I find it amusing, so.....

One is supposedly worth $175, one $300, and one $5,000.

Which is which?

Prosit

Top one $300, Middle is  $175, and the bottom one $5,000 (full step MS-66 +/- 1).

Do I win one of them?   

And here is one from my collection.  The scan doesn't do it justice but it isn't in the same catagory as the others.
MS-62
Dale