News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Showroom for african tokens

Started by Marcisharki, November 21, 2010, 05:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Quote from: Afrasi on March 23, 2017, 09:49:10 PM
The wages were paid partially in cash and partially in tokens. As the workers often bought only alcool for their money, their wives could buy food for these tokens.

Chances are that you quote a mid or late 19th or early 20th century source. At that time, this was the excuse for all kinds of paternalistic policies, ranging from withholding voting rights to the poor to refusing them a bank account to sabotaging self-help like co-ops. The Raiffeisen banks proved it wrong. There was more than average abuse of alcohol among the poor, but the paternalistic policies made it worse. What did help was empowering the poor through compulsory education, co-ops, trade unions and political representation, resulting in a cleaner, safer and healthier life and working environment.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Afrasi

I quote a person who lived there and told me in 2017.

malj1

This also happens today in Australia although with a card rather than tokens for certain people on social relief.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Such stories exist everywhere and cover the occupants of the benches of Central Park in New York to the SDFs of Paris. They lack research or even thought.

Rationally speaking, if you were homeless, would you be trying to get a roof above your head? If that were hopeless, would you be drinking? Would you start drinking before trying to find shelter? It is prejudicial to think that many people, all men or a whole population would rather drink than get other comforts, such as living quarters and food. People like that drink for oblivion, not for fun. The solution is not to take alcohol away but to give hope.

The city of Paris employs them to sweep gutters. It ain't much, but it's better than considering them human waste. Those Australian cards are something, but, judging from the results, not enough. Those tokens are signs of profiteering through trucking, not a social service.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Afrasi

Quote from: Figleaf on March 25, 2017, 11:16:50 AMSuch stories exist everywhere and cover the occupants of the benches of Central Park in New York to the SDFs of Paris. They lack research or even thought.

I can say it took a lot of patience and and some research to find someone living at this fazenda.

Quote from: Figleaf on March 25, 2017, 11:16:50 AMIt is prejudicial to think that many people, all men or a whole population would rather drink than get other comforts, such as living quarters and food. People like that drink for oblivion, not for fun. The solution is not to take alcohol away but to give hope.

I quoted, what I was told by an eye witness and I guess I can believe him. I am pretty sure not being not prejudicial. I am anti-colonial, anti-racist, I visited several African countries and I have "black" African family members.

Quote from: Figleaf on March 25, 2017, 11:16:50 AMThose tokens are signs of profiteering through trucking, not a social service.

If you consider all "white" farmers being unsocial oppressors, doesn't this sound a little bit "prejudicial", too?  ;)

Figleaf

It is a black/white issue by colonial coincidence only. In general, it is rather a poor/rich issue, which is how I described it (see especially my reference to Raiffeisen.) It is mentioned in similar terms somewhere in the edition of Samuelson's Economics I used in university (that's a long time ago) as an example of a common economic assumption that is not supported by scientific evidence. He was undoubtedly thinking in a US context, where black/white partly overlaps poor/rich, but he mentions it in a book on economics...

See also the second para of this post and the accompanying vivid illustration of what the prejudice led to.

Peter

Henk

I would like to add my token from Congo (Brazzaville). Description:
25 mm Copper-Nickel
O: A L C / 100 FR.
R: ALC / (Map of Africa with Congo (Brazzaville) highlighted) / ANIMATION LOISIRS CONGO

Obviously a modern token. I aquired it in (about) 1995

Afrasi

I love it !  :D  I just wanted to ask, why you are sure this token being from Congo-Brazzaville, when I saw the map on the token.  :-[

Remembers me to a token from Gabon, also with a map:

redwine

A LA VILLE D'ALGER / MON / DOMMERGUE / 122 / FG DU TEMPLE
·12 TICKETS· / DONNENT / DROIT / A / UNE / CONSOMMATION
2g
21.6mm
Medal aligned
Non-magnetic

I think , FG DU TEMPLE = Faubourg du Temple
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Afrasi

An interesting discount ticket.  :D

Afrasi

An unlisted lead token of the Luinha Plantation. All listed tokens of this Company have a denomination, are brass-made and holed. This one is made of lead, is unifaced and lacks denomination and hole, but the place for the hole is marked.
Any thoughts how this token was used are welcome.

gerard974

Hello
What do you think of this
Madagascar diameter 30m/m weight 10.30 grammes metal bronze

best regards Gerard

Figleaf

I think I have seen a bank cashier's token from the Southern part of Africa before on WoC, but can't find it now. This is of course a fascinating piece of history. I wouldn't be surprised if local museums don't have it in their collection.

Peter

Afrasi

I have six of them incl your piece in my data base. Are you sure about the diametre? 30 mm? Other sources say 40 mm.

I still hope for some reaction to the Luinha token!

gerard974

Quote from: Afrasi on December 19, 2019, 09:38:18 AM
I have six of them incl your piece in my data base. Are you sure about the diametre? 30 mm? Other sources say 40 mm.

I still hope for some reaction to the Luinha token!

Hello
i am sorry you are right ,is my old eyes who are tyred ,is 40mm
Best regards Gerard