News:

The Grand Event: an all-stars happening. Make sure you don't miss it!

Main Menu

Phraates IV Tetradrachm?

Started by Numii_Anglii, November 14, 2010, 03:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Numii_Anglii

The closest I could get to this was Phraates IV due to the bust style and the reverse having two figuges - one appears to be the ruler seated on the left and at right someone seems to be bearing a torch or handing something to the King. Finally found this website http://www.parthia.com/phraates4.htm but is it right?..

akona20

Probably Shaw 273.

That should be Athena on the right.

Ancientnoob

.....Similar to my Gotarzes II

Kingdom of Parthia, Seleucia
Gotarzes II 40-51 AD
AR 26mm Tetradrachm 13.87g
Obverse: Diademed Head of Gotarzes II Left
Reverse: Tyche Presenting Diadem to Gotarzes II, Year 362 of the Seleucid Era (50/51 AD)
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius

Figleaf

I have seen Seleucid coinage only in books and catalogues. Words fail.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Ancientnoob

Fig,

I seeing as though you have only seen Seleucid coinage in books and catalogs, I will prepare a new post in which I show several of the Kings I have, which include Demetrius I Soter  (The Savior), Demetrius II Nikator ( The Victor) and Antiochus VII Eurgetes  (Sidetes) (The benefactor) as well as Philip I (Philidephus) Tetradrachms which I have assembled. many of which are mentioned in the Bible due to their close relation and eventual subjugation of Judea. It will great fun, to shoot a photo of them together.
Nate
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius

Figleaf

Consider yourself enthusiastically encouraged :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.