"Plus" and "Plvs" in some Spanish coins

Started by izotz, October 29, 2010, 01:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

izotz

I don't know whether I dreamt about it or not. I think I recently read a post here asking about a variety of some Spanish coin. In a catalog, there was a type with the text "Plus" and another one with "Plvs".

I can't find it right now, so I couldn't say whether I read it here. If not, please an admin put this together.

If so, it is a coincidence that a Spanish blog wrote an entry yesterday about this :

PLUS y PLVS en las monedas de Franco (PLUS and PLVS on Franco's coins)
http://numismatico.wordpress.com/2010/10/28/plus-y-plvs-en-las-monedas-de-franco/

Once again, it is Spanish, but feel free to ask for any translation.

Prosit

Pretty interesting article/blog.   Not being a collector of variants, I find it interesting to see the prices paid for these.
Now I guess I better go check my modest Spanish collection   ;)

Dale

Bimat

Thanks for the posting this and explanation! Very interesting! Which variety is more common?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

izotz

Quote from: Numismatica on October 29, 2010, 07:44:27 PM
Thanks for the posting this and explanation! Very interesting! Which variety is more common?

Aditya

5 cents -> always PLVS
10 cents -> PLUS VLTRA, the most common one. PLVS VLTRA -> scarce.

Edit : This coin is quite common, but the difficult thing is to find it in good condition. So it is quite likely that in most of them you can't even read whether it is a PLUS or a PLVS.

goossen

Thanks for the blog, very interesting!

Here you can see the PLVS VLTRA variant.