Author Topic: 2011 two pound coin celebrates King James Bible  (Read 5925 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
2011 two pound coin celebrates King James Bible
« on: October 28, 2010, 06:08:31 PM »

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/59576/notices/1227221/from=2010-09-01;to=2010-10-28;exact=our+mint

‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “ELIZABETH · II · D · G · REG · FID · DEF” and the denomination “ · TWO POUNDS · ”, and for the reverse a design focusing on the opening verse of St John’s Gospel, “IN THE BEGINNING WAS THE WORD”, showing the verse as printing blocks on the left and the printed page on the right, with the inscription “KING JAMES BIBLE” above and the dates “1611 – 2011” below. The said coins will have a graining upon the edge and in incuse letters the inscription “THE AUTHORISED VERSION”, save for the gold coin where the incuse letters will be accompanied by a plain edge’.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 2011 two pound coin celebrates King James Bible
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:42:38 PM »
As the father of a professional translator, I support this as a worthy occasion :)

Is a grained edge what the normals refer to as a reeded edge? I thought "grained" referred to little dots...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:35:50 PM »
Speaking as a heathen, though with a Protty background, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that this anniversary is even being commemorated on a coin, at a time when hardly a step can be taken without looking over one's shoulder to check which minority groups someone might decide will be offended.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 12:22:39 AM »
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Ukrainii Pyat

• Collector of everything numismatic
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 01:49:05 AM »
How uninspired of design:

Almost as ugly as "God Save the Queen" coins from few years ago.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 06:06:18 PM »
The "core" of the design I like - admittedly I had wondered how they would turn this subject into a coin design. What I do not find that great, to put it mildly, is the different font sizes they use for the two sides. Also, at least one of the two "bead circles" should have been on the reverse too.

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 07:52:07 PM »
Bead circles - bad! They are out of fashion, surely? In 2008, the Royal Mint removed them from the 1p, 2p, 5p and 10p coins.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 08:51:24 PM »
Of course they are not actually necessary. But if you have two on the obverse, one along the edge and one that separates the two coin "colors", it would look better to have at least one on the reverse. Just like both fonts (or font sizes) are OK, but why use two different ones?

Christian