Author Topic: Token of the New Hebrides (aka Vanuatu)  (Read 1709 times)

translateltd

Token of the New Hebrides (aka Vanuatu)
« on: October 28, 2010, 06:21:11 AM »
A colleague in the UK referred me to this item in a CGB auction.  I have in turn referred him to WOC in the hope that he will join up, if he hasn't already.  The description below is from the referring e-mail.

http://vso.numishop.com/ficheboutique.php?id=v46_0798&boutique=vso_mo&argretour=2

A Two (Australian) Shilling Token issued for use on Les Nouvelles Hebrides: Ile Vatue

Legend on obv.   Stuart & Wright / Rosette
Descript. on obv. Letters S & W enlaced
Legend on rev.    Nouvelles / Hebrides
Descript. on rev.  2/- in the field

It is not in Lecompte 2000 or 2007

The Auction No .is MONNAIES 46 and the lot no. is v46_0798
Starting Price is 150E with an "estimation" of 500E. And there's a very short history of the two men
who issued it.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Token of the New Hebrides (aka Vanuatu)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 12:53:24 PM »
Superb discovery piece. Here is a translation of the relevant French texts:

Comments on the condition: the metal has suffered hevily in the field, making it dull. There are also small traces of oxydation. Nevertheless, this copy is perfectly identifiable.

I think this text means that the piece spent a considerable time in the ground and was therefore found only recently.

Comments: Robert Petersen Stuart and Thomas Wright were colonists from the South and South-West of the island from 1920. The denomination of this emergency coinis in Austraian shillings. The Australian pound and its sub-divisions were effectively circulating in the French-British condominium of the Nouvelles-H├ębrides/New Hebrides.

I would add that the use of zinc is an indication that these tokens were ordered in France, where zinc tokens circulated around 1920, though more tokens were starting to get struck in aluminum.

Peter

Photo: CGB
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.