News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Euro Estonia

Started by common sense, April 28, 2006, 12:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3v1

Quote from: Numismatica on July 30, 2010, 04:54:41 PM
Do starter kits of Monaco and San Marino exist? :o I have heard about them but haven't seen any pictures..
Aditya,
San Marino hasn't issued any starter kits. But Monaco did, to be precise 51.200 kits. Many have been opened by collectors, and the ones still remaining are very expensive.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

chrisild

Key elements of the euro banknotes - windows and bridges - can now be viewed in a short "commercial" (one minute) that will also be shown on TV in Estonia. Here is some background info, and these are the videos in English. (This English that the background voice speaks sounds extremely British, but then I do not speak Estonian or Russian, the other two languages that the clips* are available in.)

* Plural because there are four clips: Apart from the 60-sec "general" video, they also have three shorter ones about security features (Feel - Look - Tilt). Nothing new for those who already use the euro, and if you expect any in-depth info ... well, that is not what commercials are for. ;)

Christian

chrisild

Since I was curious about the edge inscription, I asked the "euroveeb" people ... and got a reply really fast. Kudos!   The edge lettering will be * EESTI * - alternating so that it can be read regardless which side of the coin is up.

Christian

Rasmus

here is new today announce euro starterkit.
so my question as there added before to starterkit security token?
check on picture to rightmost coin

chrisild

Wait wait wait. How come you already have one? I thought they would not be issued until the end of this month ...

And no, I don't think previous starter kits had such security chips or tokens. It sure is a neat add-on, but is it actually required for security purposes? It would take quite a bit of effort to counterfeit the plastic bags. :)

(Edit)  I just found a large image of such a token at Eesti Pank's site:

Christian

Rasmus

oh no, I don't have it  :(
just a picture from Estonian Bank press release at newssite

Figleaf

So now, that security token becomes a collector's item also. As if my want list wasn't long enough already ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Quote from: chrisild on September 23, 2010, 03:29:09 PM
The edge lettering will be * EESTI * - alternating so that it can be read regardless which side of the coin is up.

It will look like this:

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Prosit

Yeah, well, I don't want every coin there is but stuff that is a bit unusual like this is often more interesting to me than the coins and I certainly would be interested in one.

Dale

Quote from: Figleaf on November 06, 2010, 01:58:07 PM
So now, that security token becomes a collector's item also. As if my want list wasn't long enough already ;)

Peter

chrisild

Quote from: Numismatica on November 07, 2010, 05:09:21 AM
It will look like this

That is what I thought too, judging from the reply that I got from the Bank of Estonia. But apparently those stars were just used because it was easier to type them in an e-mail. :) According to Gerhard Schön there won't be any asterisks on the edge; the words are divided by circles instead.

Christian

Bimat

Quote from: chrisild on November 07, 2010, 12:35:31 PM
That is what I thought too, judging from the reply that I got from the Bank of Estonia. But apparently those stars were just used because it was easier to type them in an e-mail. :) According to Gerhard Schön there won't be any asterisks on the edge; the words are divided by circles instead.
So that there won't be type A and type B in Estonian euro coins  :D Thanks for the information!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Sir Sisu

Currently in Estonia for a week vacation and having fun with perhaps using the krooni for the last time. I have tons of sentti coins that I'm trying to use. Prices everywhere are in Euros, so it's much easier than previously. (sorry if this post if too casual and off topic.)

Bimat

Bank of Estonia is now selling their pre euro Krooni coins and banknotes to collectors :)

http://www.eestipank.info/pub/en/yldine/pangatahed/kollektsionaaridele/

Aditya

chrisild

As from today (1 Dec) people in Estonia can get the euro starter kits. Apparently the final number of kits has not been determined yet. Consumers won't care, collectors might. ;) "A total of 600,000 euro coin starter kits will be released for sale by Eesti Pank, so that each household would get one. Around 450,000 kits will be on sale from 1 December, the rest will reach sales counters in mid-December. The central bank is also ready to order more starter kits for December." http://www.eestipank.ee/pub/en/press/Press/pressiteated/pt2010/_11/pt1130

Christian

Rasmus

indeed, when I was at bank almost every person bought 5 kits  >:D

according TV news in first day there was sold ca 65.000 pieces.