News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Dania and The Danaïdes on a Danish Brewery Medal

Started by Ukrainii Pyat, October 22, 2010, 01:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ukrainii Pyat

Okay, just to set things straight, I paid way more than I had hoped to on this medal, but it was one that would have haunted me if I had not bid as high as I went...


DENMARK. 1896 Carlsberg New Brewery 25th Anniversary Plaquette. Bronze silverplate, 71 x 51mm. By Jules Clement Chaplain. About Uncirculated.

Obv. Warrior maiden Dania with sword and banner, NY CARLSBERG, LABOREMUS PRO PATRIA, Let us Work for the Fatherland. Swastikas flank three dates at base. Rev. Muse standing with alembic, another is seated on sack of hops holding barley ears, reversed swastika in upper field. Possibly cleaned at some time. Struck by Paris Mint, Cornucopia-BRONZE on edge. A charming composition.

This silvered bronze plaque commemorates the 25th anniversary of Carlsberg's second brewery. J. C. Jacobsen had built the company's first brewery in 1847, when he started in business. This second brewery was constructed for his son Carl, inspiration for the company's name. Carl managed operations of the new brewery ("NY CARLSBERG"="NEW CARLSBERG") from 1882 (it took 11 years to complete) until his death in 1914. Although J.C. had intended the new Carlsberg to be a sister brewery to Carlsberg, Carl broke away from his father, and the two breweries became fierce competitors. Carl merged his operations with Carlsberg in 1906, nearly 20 years after his father's death. The swastika was Carlsberg's symbol from the early days, though the company abandoned the symbol after its adoption by the Nazis to avoid any implied connection with Hitler's party. However, it can still be seen on the huge elephant that has been at the entrance to the brewery in Copenhagen since 1905.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

<k>

Wow - what a beauty! Come on, own up - how much did you pay for it?! An over-appreciation of beauty is nothing to be ashamed of.

Swastikas and Carlsberg? Who knows, perhaps the ancient Indians drank their product. Their ancient texts tell of spaceships that ran on mercury and scorched the hillsides with their flames as they took off, so lager would be a minor anachronism beside that.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

asm

Quote from: E.M.U. on October 22, 2010, 03:12:36 PM
Swastikas and Carlsberg? Who knows, perhaps the ancient Indians drank their product. Their ancient texts tell of spaceships that ran on mercury and scorched the hillsides with their flames as they took off, so lager would be a minor anachronism beside that.

But this Swastika is the Nazi predessesor and not the Indian 'SWASTIK'...........The Indian Swastik would be a mirror image of this one.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

chrisild

Quote from: asm on October 23, 2010, 03:47:12 AM
But this Swastika is the Nazi predessesor and not the Indian 'SWASTIK'...........The Indian Swastik would be a mirror image of this one.

Hmm, on that plaque either "type" is used. And aren't both orientations of the swastika (with different meanings though) common in Hinduism? In any case, in Europe too that symbol* is a couple of centuries older than nazism. On the other hand, once it gets "usurped" by an ideology that you do not support or even fight against, you (as a Danish brewery for example) don't really want to use it any more ...

* Side note: In German we have two words for that sign - "Swastika" is the general term while "Hakenkreuz" (hook cross?) is used for the nazi symbol.

By the way, what does the year "1817" on the reverse refer to?

Christian

asm

Quote from: chrisild on October 23, 2010, 11:19:43 AM
Hmm, on that plaque either "type" is used. And aren't both orientations of the swastika (with different meanings though) common in Hinduism?........

.......By the way, what does the year "1817" on the reverse refer to?

Christian

I do not know how I missed the first one. Yes that is the one used by the Hindu's and is an auspisious mark or sign made at the bigining or at the start of any good work or deed. Hinduism does not use the reverse or the reverse rotated "Hook Cross".

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Prosit

I have heard the term "Hakenkreuz" and I have also heard it referred to as a broken cross .....
The origin of the symbol has always been something I was curious about but never heard much to convince me anyone knew for sure...the speculations are interesting enough although less than satisfying.
Dale


Quote from: chrisild on October 23, 2010, 11:19:43 AM
Side note: In German we have two words for that sign - "Swastika" is the general term while "Hakenkreuz" (hook cross?) is used for the nazi symbol.[/i]
Christian

Figleaf

Once more, Wikipedia has a convincing explanation for the use of the swastika:

In the Western world, the symbol experienced a resurgence following the archaeological work in the late 19th century of Heinrich Schliemann, who discovered the symbol in the site of ancient Troy and associated it with the ancient migrations of Proto-Indo-Europeans. He connected it with similar shapes found on ancient pots in Germany, and theorized that the swastika was a "significant religious symbol of our remote ancestors", linking Germanic, Greek and Indo-Iranian cultures. By the early 20th century, it was used worldwide and was regarded as a symbol of good luck and success.

Note the classical influence on the figures on the plaque.

Congratulations, scottishmoney.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Ukrainii Pyat

#7
Seriously, I bought the medal not for the little symbols that were later hijacked by some maniacal nutwhacks in the 1920s but rather for the fine engraving work and the artistry.  Before having posted said image, I considered photoshoping the "offending" symbols off of said piece. It would appear as though for many they dominate the attention of the viewer away from what should be the main attractions - the amazing depictions of "Dania" and "The Danaïdes" with their powerful feminine imagery -one of determination and fortitude, the other of grace and and charm.

Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Abhay

Quote from: E.M.U. on October 22, 2010, 03:12:36 PM
Swastikas and Carlsberg? Who knows, perhaps the ancient Indians drank their product. Their ancient texts tell of spaceships that ran on mercury and scorched the hillsides with their flames as they took off, so lager would be a minor anachronism beside that.

A real beauty.

And why only ANCIENT Indians? Even MODERN Indians still drink their product. ;D ;D ;D

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Prosit

Actually the first thing I noticed was the superb sculptural quality of the piece and the interesting subject.  Second thing I noticed is that two necked thingy she is holding  ;D  Only later did I pay attention to the swastika.

Excellent piece!

Dale







Quote from: scottishmoney on October 24, 2010, 03:23:22 PM
Seriously, I bought the medal not for the little symbols that were later hijacked by some maniacal nutwhacks in the 1920s but rather for the fine engraving work and the artistry.  Before having posted said image, I considered photoshoping the "offending" symbols off of said piece. It would appear as though for many they dominate the attention of the viewer away from what should be the main attractions - the amazing depictions of "Dania" and "The Danaïdes" with their powerful feminine imagery -one of determination and fortitude, the other of grace and and charm.

chrisild

Well, that armed but not well armored lady was probaby quite a popular figure at that time. And since you have not photoshopped the "1817" away ;) do you happen to know why they put it there?

Christian

Ukrainii Pyat

Frankly, I am not sure what the significance of the 1817 date is, because J.C. Jacobsen was born in 1811.  Unless the last digit was a mistake on the part of the engraver?
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine